Saturday, March 4, 2023

And Then . . .


I made three more test diamonds using random fabrics and stuck them up on the design wall to test setting triangle sizes.


Then I trimmed one in half vertically, one in half horizontally, and one into quarters (cutting both vertically and horizontally).  

When I stepped back, I was completely surprised at how the overall vibe of the WIP quilt changed.

It seemed happier and more alive.


Next I overlapped the aqua avocado fabric with some of the diamonds from further down the design wall and framed them with the scrap of black and white binding.

Again I was delighted with the energy the orange strips brought to the overall look and the brighter look of the scrappy greens.


So I removed the already-bordered diamonds and moved things around to see what would happen if I used the orange as a single (1" finished) sashing.


Which led to this mock up.


Which led to this cropped photo.

I'm pretty sure you can guess what is going to happen now.

* * *

I had sewn enough excess pieced strips to make strata for eleven more diamonds.

Once those are cut and on the design wall, I'll be able to see how many more diamonds are needed to create the wall quilt to fit that space in our dining room.

If need be, I'll remove the border strips on some of the now-set-aside diamonds to fill in the empty spots.

Gwen Marston called this approach liberated quilt making.  

Lynne calls it "quilting without a net."

I call it challenging but fun.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Normality is a paved road.  It's comfortable to walk but no flowers grow on it."
Vincent Van Gogh

10 comments:

Elle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new bright orange ;-)

Barbara Anne said...

I love your new layout that lets those scrappy, happy greens just shine! The wonderful but IMHO too busy swirly fabrics took attention away from the diamonds and the orange compliments the greens.

It will be interesting to see where the two swirly fabrics will make their next appearance.

Have fun!

Hugs!

Cherie Moore said...

Wow, that orange does add a sparkle! I love that you listen to the quilt and push until it’s just right…….although you took your time with partly sunny, lol. Love Lynne’s quilting “without a net” phrase. I was just thinking I’ve only made one quilt following a pattern this past year. Everything else has been inspired by something but all my own figuring, choices, etc.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The orange fabric is definitely more vibrant and a better value change from your original choices I think. If you were in a Nancy Crow class she would be scolding you for sewing any part together until you had tried many choices. I was the one scolded in my first class with her. We love to jump in and sew but since we have lots of fabric we can change our minds, no problem, and go with the new idea.

cityquilter grace said...

i call it WOW....beautiful and vibrant indeed!

Robin said...

Such a difference! Very nice!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh the fun of play time trying different fabrics and settings! Love the single strip of orange bordering the diamonds, and top marks for your cropping idea! Looking forward to seeing what comes next. Magnificent words from Van Gogh, I must write this out and pin on my wall by my machine.

Jeanne said...

Kudos on the diamond progress! I need to get mine out, hang them up and ponder on the project.

Rhonda said...

Love it. I have been making strips of scraps for borders, but after seeing this mock up, I can see that I can just cut them into squares, turn them on point and WOw, what a great use of all those strips I have. Thanks for the inspiration and I LOVE the black/wh stripe border.

Paulette said...

That orange really makes things pop!