The top for Rident has been sewn together, borders added, pressed, and rolled onto a pool noodle for pin basting.
53" x 67"
I changed the plan for Rident's backing. Instead of the Seussical scrappy back, I chose a group of brights on black, some of which are shown here.
The one fish-two fish strips will be used as binding.
These are the two WOF back panels (folded in half for now) with the center strip not yet sewn in place.
Now, you may be wondering why I changed the backing plan for Rident.
It was entirely the fault of Flash, my newest studio squirrel.
(as in flash of inspiration)
Keep reading and you'll understand.
The first three panels of off cuts and leftovers sewn together measure roughly 44" wide x 55" long.
When younger son spotted this on the design wall he exclaimed "that would be perfect as my chair quilt."
And just like that, another Dr. Seuss quilt was born.
The two long sections of strip set end cuts from Rident will make excellent full-length inserts for the back.
After a bit of pondering, the latest in what has become a series of three Seuss quilts has been named BON MOT ("a witty remark or comment; clever saying; witticism).
Moving ahead, one seam at a time.
* * *
p.s. The birthday presents did get finished in time and were well received. I'll share photos later this week.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."
Oscar Wilde







4 comments:
Love the backing and love the binding choice. I love stripes and words as bindings. Neat other Seuss quilt. Black squirrels are rare around here as they are Canadian and live across the river/Lake. I need to find myself a squirrel to perch in my studio that I can blame for getting off track.
Oh, you have to tell where Flash came from. He’s a handsome squirrel!!!!
Great story, Julie!! You are SEW sweet to accommodate Younger Son's wish for a new chair quilt. He's a lucky man!
Wizard to have a Seuss-ful backing become a quilt top in a flash! Nice, too, to have a grown son who still appreciates Dr. Seuss!
I've take a page from your quilts and pieced a 9 Patch backing for the baby quilt I've made for a friend's first grandbaby - a little girl due next month. If I have the time and energy, will make a doll quilts from the scraps and leftovers.
Hugs!
Post a Comment