Wednesday, December 28, 2022

January Placemats - Done


This is where things stood two weeks ago . . . strips cut and sorted for six placemat tops and squares cut and sorted for six placemat backings.


These are our no-longer-new January cloth table napkins, hence the color palette.


By last week the six tops and backs were sewn with batting cut for each (photo taken before the slabs were pressed).


Earlier this week all six placemats had been free motion quilted using Glide thread in Warm Grey 4 and my liberated all over spiral fans and trimmed to size (14" x 20").  

Shown here before binding.


The color palette also ties into our dining room's January decor. 


And now, the placemats have been bound and finished.  

This is a view of the completed top sides.


And this is a view of the completed back sides.

* * *

It will be a few more days before Christmas is taken down and packed away for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I will miss all of our white lights each evening.  


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The world calls them their singers and poets and artists and story-tellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten their way to fairyland."
Lucy Maud Montgomery 

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely January placemat finishes!! Our Christmas is all packed away for the year here; not much sewing going on..I am in a limbo-state as to what I want to finish first--time to make a priority list (heh--tho' whether or not I will follow it is the question!). I've been last seen going down too many rabbit holes....;))) hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the white lights that aren't on the tree should stay up all through January to light up the second darkest month of winter.

The striped binding gives a little zip to the neutral colors.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wanda - keep the lights up. I plan to start up my aero-garden in January to grow some micro greens. The lights really brighten my kitchen and the fresh greens are wonderful.

My parents didn't set up the Christmas tree until after we went to bed on Dec 24th. Coming down the stairs on the 25th was wonderful. We still wait until late in the season and have the decorations up through "Little Christmas" or the Feast of the Magi on January 6th. A friend keeps her tree up until after St. Patrick's Day. She takes most of the decorations off, but she likes the green tree and lights during the Michigan winter.

I like the idea of monthly placemats/table runners - a good way f using up some orphan blocks...Liz

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice finish with table mats and why not leave the lights up, a sparkle in the room is quite magical.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great set of neutral placemats, Julie! I actually love the backs as much as the fronts. Enjoy!