Friday, December 2, 2022

December Begins


I am feeling better each day with less coughing and a bit more energy/stamina.

To celebrate the arrival of December, DH and I strolled through the Holiday Lights annual event at the Memphis Botanic Gardens.  

It wasn't quite dark when we walked past the Red Queen and her flamingo playing croquet with a hedgehog and playing card.  


The Gardens hosted a special exhibit this year featuring Alice in Wonderland mosaiculture sculptures - during the summer months the sculptures were covered in living plants (photo above taken by younger son who volunteers at the Gardens).  

Now that the growing season is over, the sculptures have been de-planted and covered in lights.


By the time we reached Alice, it was fully dark.  Alice is suspended above a round reflecting pool so visitors can view her from every angle.  The sculpture is designed to rotate making the whole thing even more impressive.  



Like the Red Queen, Alice was covered in plants during the summer.  



It was cold (air temp 32) so we were bundled up for our early evening out.  

* * *

I haven't been responding to your kind comments but I have appreciated all the well wishes!

And I still haven't spent any time in the studio, but that will change over the weekend.


Quiltdivajulie

7 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That looks like a cool display!!!
I am glad you are feeling better!

Barbara Anne said...

Love the joyful Alice display and wish the Botanic Garden's had been as delightful when we were still living in Memphis.
Best are the happy, smiling faces of you and DH! Great cozy hat and scarf you're wearing.
It's good to hear you're feeling well enough to enjoy the display and hope you're soon back in the sewing room to pet your fabric and maybe even sew.

Hugs!

audrey said...

I'm so glad you are starting to feel better! It's been a rough year for some people when it comes to the coughs etc. Take it easy.:)

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

The Joyful Quilter said...

No worries about not responding, Julie. Just glad to hear that you are feeling better (and even able to enjoy and outing!)

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a magical place to visit regardless of season! So glad you got out and enjoyed it. Outside air and light is a good elixir. Hope you continue to gain strength.

Mystic Quilter said...

Those lights are something else and so glad you're well enough to take time out and enjoy! Looking forward to your posts from the studio again soon.