Monday, October 24, 2022

The Pants


Just over two weeks ago when I picked up Little Man from kindergarten, he quickly showed me the ripped knee in his pants.

I made the pickup with barely ten minutes to spare (short notice + thirty-minute drive in 5:00 traffic) because Daddy wasn't feeling at all well (he's fine now).

And, once Little Man was fed and tucked in bed, and Daddy was steady on his feet again, the pants were sent home with me to "fix."


Okaaaaaay . . . there's no way to mend a threadbare blown-out knee without having it show, so why not make it really show?

I've not done much visible mending but this seemed like the perfect opportunity and, since the pants are already well-worn, I wasn't overly worried about long-term durability of the "repair."


After:  The torn knee stabilized with a layer of fabric under all the stitching.


And I stabilized the other knee stabilized as well.


When I sent this photo to Daddy, his immediate reply was "those are some cool pants!"

And when Little Man saw them, his first reaction was "Awesome!"


* * *


I've been fever-free for just over three days now (hooray!) and my stamina is slowly beginning to return.  The antibiotics are still working their magic (for another 5 days) and I'm doing better at pacing myself so I don't overdo.

Over the weekend I managed an hour in the studio - I'll share those results on Wednesday.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Art must be an expression of love or it is nothing."
Marc Chagall

13 comments:

Nann said...

The rainbow knees are great! I think back to college days when hand-embroidered denim was in style. Glad you're feeling better.

Jeanne said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pants!!!! We do school pickups too, also in traffic, so gotta say LOVE LOVE LOVE the grandkids as well ;)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I do school drop offs- feed the kiddos breakfast and drive them to school- so it is not as much a rush. Love the way the threads kind of glow on the gray fabric. Glad you are out of the woods.

Katie said...

The pants truly are awesome! I have a pair that is looking kinda shabby and have debated fancying them up, but just haven't found the courage. Also, they're not quite that bad, so I'm kinda waiting for the full blowout! I'm glad you're feeling better and hope the trend continues. The sewing will be there when you're ready.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I want to rip a pair of pants to send to you!!! Those are amazing!!!!

sue s said...

So much better than just a denim patch! And he liked it too! Glad you are on the mend.

Barbara Anne said...

Brilliant repair! Little Man will be the envy of all of this friends and your may have a line of ripped jeans coming your way in the near future!
Am glad you're feeling better and are being wise in taking it easy.

Hugs!

audrey said...

Super cute repair! You are the best grandma!:)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is so neat that he loves fiber art of all kinds. I bet the other kids will love the repair too. It sounds like the perfect project for some quiet time while healing.

JustGail said...

That's a great repair! I'm happy you are feeling better.

@Katie - I suggest starting the repairs sooner than later. It's far easier to keep garment and reinforcing fabric lined up smoothly while the fabric is thin or has tiny holes, than when the garment totally wears through or gets huge rips.

Ann said...

What a fantastic idea. Good job, Julie!

Mystic Quilter said...

So pleased to see you're feeling well enough to be quilting again. The pants - absolutely magical!! I have a pair of jeans with a really messed up knee, would love to copy your stitching ideas here, if you don't mind. Would give everyone something to think about as I walk down the main street!

The Joyful Quilter said...

As soon as I saw your repair I knew that Little Man was going to be thrilled with your work, Julie. Fun fix!!