Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Raconteur - the Blocks


The week before I got sick, I had (at last) sewn together all but the last four blocks for Raconteur.

Over this past weekend, I managed to sew up those last four, press them, and get all 20 blocks onto the design wall.

I tried taking photos with the lights on but the colors were so harsh that I waited for a morning with filtered sunlight so the colors would be more true to life.


Tuesday morning I spent about 45 minutes in the studio choosing borders for the top.  The scrappy binding is along the left edge.

The top is pale enough that it was challenging to find a border fabric that didn't overpower the scrappy trips layout.


I also totally changed my plan for the backing - the three fabrics, especially the two on the right, will become a pieced back.  I also have a long chain of leftover 2.5" squares already sewn together that I'll use as an insert in some of the back's seams.

And that was as much as I had in me . . . I had hoped to do more, but there's always tomorrow.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"To me, art supplies are always okay to buy."
Louis C.K.

10 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving this pretty palette, soft and yet very effective with those wee pops of blue & pink.

Elaine M said...

This quilt is like an old friend, full of comfort, support and good stories. Lovely! Hope you are feeling a lot better and stay healthy.

Julierose said...

Very pretty quilt in those softer shades!! Hope you are feeling better these days...hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, it is such a lovely calm quilt, just wonderful. I can see how picking borders out has to be difficult. I would say most of my strength has returned, but the brain hits some skips- especially making mistakes. Just keep resting and fondling fabric.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the softness of these colors/values. It is indeed hard to get the camera to not make a big contrast within the low contrast fabrics.

Nann said...

The low-volume palette is very soothing, which is what you need during this bout of whatever-it-is-that's-not-Covid. The challenge with the trip-tube sewing is to be sure to unsew the correct seams. (I write from recent personal experience.)

Nancy said...

I love bright colors but sometimes these pale, light fabrics hit the spot. And this is definitely one of those times with this quilt. It's gorgeous!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is really pretty, and the light was definitely better.
Glad you are getting up a little - but take care of you!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh this is so pretty, reminds me of softly colour sugar icing on cakes, I love it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely layout, Julie! This is sure to be a restful quilt. SEW glad to hear that you are feeling better (and remembering to pace yourself in the studio!)