Monday, September 19, 2022

Simple Joys


Little Man continues to learn and grow . . . during this weekend visit he took his new knowledge of how to cut a heart from a folded sheet of paper and leapt forward to making snowflakes, lots and lots of snowflakes.


He also makes a list each morning of the big things he wants to do.  I love that he is learning to sound out words both in reading and writing.  They have tablets in his classroom for specific activities and he told me that they have to spell out the word for what they want the tablet to show them.  

He proudly told me how he spelled dinosaur ("dynosor") to see that section - I'm delighted that the program in the tablet is set to understand and reward the phonetic approach.  

(SWING is in a different color highlighter because he added it after lunch . . . more on that below)


On Saturday he insisted that we make a quilt for his dog because "she is the only one in our family now that doesn't have her very own quilt, Mee Mah."

Two yards of fabric and a set of leftover binding later he had not only helped pin baste the layers but learned how to operate the needle up/needle down button on Max ("the big machine").

(I also now have an array of snowflakes in my studio)


This was rest time on Sunday - he is only allowed to watch television on non-school days so he makes the most of it by using quiet time after lunch to watch a movie (no more naps because "I'm a big kid now").


Early Sunday morning, Dee Dah rigged up a rope swing in the back yard and Little Man spent almost the entire day using it.  By the end of the day, he had learned to not only sit on it, but kneel, and then finally stand on the base.  I am certain there were at least 500 launches with a few more after family dinner just for good measure. 

Oh, the simple joys of childhood . . . 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------

THE SWING
BY Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing, 
   Up in the air so blue? 
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing 
   Ever a child can do! 

Up in the air and over the wall, 
   Till I can see so wide, 
Rivers and trees and cattle and all 
   Over the countryside— 

Till I look down on the garden green, 
   Down on the roof so brown— 
Up in the air I go flying again, 
   Up in the air and down!

Source: A Child's Garden of Verses (1999)

10 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Maybe we all need to allow ourselves a carefree childlike day. We can take lessons from the little ones.

jean said...

He is so smart and so handsome. I have a grandson around his age...reminds me so much of the times he stays with us. We have to enjoy every minute with them!

Paulette said...

I love his list of things he wants to do! He's growing so fast. How sweet to want to make a quilt for the dog. Treasure these times!

Cherie Moore said...

Wow, another wonderful weekend with Little Man! Love his list and the swing is fabulous being so high, it has great swinging hang time!

Dru said...

The next time Little Man wants to make snowflakes, try using white coffee filters. Since they are round, they make better flakes than a square piece of paper. Plus, since they are lightweight, they cut easily with scissors. Have fun!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun!!! I love seeing his creative mind at work - and his caring side.... the dog ( so sweet)

Julierose said...

Little Man is growing up so quickly!! I love his list of things to do for the day!! What fun to have him for the weekend...joy filled days making memories...
hugs, Julierose

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Such joy! Yes, he's growing up so fast; so glad that you have the sweet mementos to cherish of this time in his life. Hugs~

MissPat said...

I just read an article (in the NYT, I think) about adults forgetting how to have fun. It was food for thought about finding time to be playful as a respite in our busy, sometimes stressful, days.

Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

But of course his dog needed a quilt!!! Lovely and bright. The grandchildren grow so quickly, these times you spend with him are irreplaceable, we should all make the most of them as do you.The rope swing is fantastic and takes me way back to childhood - wish I lived nearby and could have a go!!