Happily, I was able to choose these leftover binding pieces to use for each of the five utility mats.
Darlene (no-reply blogger) left a comment on the previous post asking what utility mats are used for. I responded with a comment on that post but I will add my response here as well, in case others might be wondering what my term means.
For me, UTILITY MATS include placemats, mug mats, table/dresser runners, hearth mats, end table toppers (used under lamps, bowls, plants, etc), small wall hangings (ideal for cubicles), and as spots of color on any surface that needs them.
There's a label in the side bar for UTILITY MATS that will pull up posts that feature my previous utility mats to give you lots of visual examples.
Since one thing always seems to lead to the next . . . THIS happened.
(top row, left to right)
Bindings for Spots and Dots, Concatenation, Hoppipolla (note, the too-bright yellow border was later removed and replaced with Brandon Mably's Jumble, hence the binding choice), Logophile, and Burnt Orange (pendingcomfort quilt).
(bottom row, left to right)
Bindings for several more comfort quilts including Comfort Zone, Cinnamon Rainbow, Takmeel, and Shaggy; plus a backup binding that I found in the 2.5" strips drawer already sewn together but not yet pressed.
* * *
So why do I make so many of my bindings ahead of time?
Mostly so they are ready to go once the quilt is actually quilted and ready for binding; but also because seeing the prepped bindings this way keeps at least a few of my brain cells from playing the "what if I use THIS fabric" game when I'm supposed to be focused on MAKING instead of PLANNING.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Art, in itself, is an effort to bring order out of chaos."
Stephen Sondheim



6 comments:
I have never known so early what my binding would be - I just can't picture how things will look until everything else is done. But I wish I had your ability to visualise, as it must feel really nice to know those are all sitting there, ready to use.
Love your organization and methodology. I always need to see the finished quilt on the wall before I can decide/audition the binding. Unless, of course, someone made me the binding. Thanks.
I like to make my binding as soon as the top is finished (I usually use the same fabric as the outer border) then I put it along with the label into a ziplock type bag and clip it to the hanger that I have the quilt top on. That way, I know I'll have the right fabric for the binding AND I'll have the info on the label (quilt name, my name, who's it for, along with the city I live in and the date completed).
I don't always do this but try to most of the time. :)
I love using my "leftover" bindings and often will butt them together for a multi-colored one--especially since most of y works are scrappy to the nth degree!! Neat Utility mats you have there--hugs, Julierose
wow you did go to town with the bindings but I toto like to make the binding and have it with a quilt tip ready do that it does not get used like you say in another project...........
goodluck getting your mats finished.......they are lovely.......
SEW many wonderful quilt bindings, Julie!!
Post a Comment