When I shared photos of the segments for CAIM, I mentioned cutting too many rectangles.
I did indeed - enough to make a second bricks and squares quilt top!
Here are all 360 rectangles clipped in sets of ten.
This time, instead of warm neutral squares, I plan to cut squares from three lengths of aqua yardage (lower group).
I'll use the five yards of aqua yardage (upper group) for a pieced back and one of the two stripes as binding. Of course, as usual, some of that will probably change once the project is actually under construction.
On another note, I had at some point pulled these four pieces of leftover yardage to make a scrappy backing for an undetermined project.
Rather than squirrel them away in the stash again, I decided to use the Hannah design from Kitchen Table Quilting to make yet another comfort quilt (this brings the list to nine - no time table, only as time and energy allow) to use up a even more of the leftover 2.5" strips.
These cut segments ALL came from those leftover strips and/or pieces in the resource boxes, which makes me VERY happy.
I used almost all of the Tula Pink "Macaw ya Later" yardage for the background rectangles (right). That felt pretty good as well because I've had a hard time finding a good use for that fabric.
And the stack of leftover brights on black strips (left) are most likely going to become the quilt's binding.
WIN - WIN - WIN
Since this will be another 60" x 72" top, I added a few more pieces of leftover backing to the collection.
The 120 segments were sorted into thirty groups of four . . .
. . . then gently folded into their groups and put into their labeled project box.
I've named this KOSELIG, a Norwegian adjective that means "a feeling of deep contentment, provided by a person, place, or atmosphere; experiencing happiness and personal well-being through a combination of nature, companionship, and coziness."
And, for the record, I did get all five of the utility mats made from pieces of previous quilt tops/projects free motion quilted. (these will all go to my sister in Michigan)
Next step will be to check the drawer of leftover bindings to see if any of them are suitable. Fingers crossed!
* * *
Here's to the concept of “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without”
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision."
James Whistler








7 comments:
Wow! What a delicious bunch of leftover usefulness! I do love seeing the pairings different quilters make.
The fabrics in your stash are all so beautiful! 😻 I went on a fabric buying spree this summer and have now decided I can’t buy anymore fabric until I use up a lot of it. You are inspiring me to go through what I have and let the creative juices flow. I’m curious, what is a utility mat used for? I have a box of leftover blocks, hst, etc. from previous projects. I thought I’d put them all into one crazy quilt, but I think the variations in color would be a little too “crazy”. Maybe utility mats would be a better option to use them up?
Lots of amazing color in your future quilts!!!
Responding to Darlene (no-reply blogger) -
UTILITY MATS (for me) include placemats, mug mats, table runners, end table toppers (under lamps, bowls, etc), spots of color on any surface that needs one. The orphan block pieces can also be used as pillow fronts (the smaller ones). There's a label in the side bar for utility mats that will pull up all of my posts that feature previous utility mats to give you visual examples.
Some of those Tula Pink fabrics, as cute as they are, are hard to work into a project. This one is perfect as the background fabric for that quilt.
You have me clicking and thinking all over the place. Think I need a nap. Thanks for all the great ideas and photos.
Loving all this bold cpolour here Julie! Those fabrics for the 'Hannah' quilt will work brilliantly with the Tula pink birds! And, I love your selection of utility mats, very creative.
Post a Comment