Monday, August 15, 2022

Another Scrappy Quilt Begins


Comfortable (above) began in 2018 when I gathered all of the random 2.5" strips into one box.  From there, I made several quilts - finishing Comfortable in 2020.

Interestingly enough, while I created my own layout without consulting a pattern, tutorial, Pinterest, or Google Images, it turns out that this approach has been used in many different ways.

There is a pattern named Zip It by Emma Jean Jansen, a design named Now and Later by Kathie Holland that was sent along in an American Patchwork and Quilting marketing mailer, Jo from Jo's Country Junction shared this tutorial on her blog after making her Brick House Quilt, Katy from Katy's Quilts just finished her version done all in 30s prints, and I am sure there are other patterns or tutorials out there.

Clearly there is very little new under the sun.


Anyway . . . I spent most of Saturday cutting up leftovers from the resource boxes.  Some of these were rotary cut (2.5" wide by whatever length was available) and the wider pieces are ready to run through my die cutter (8.5" width yields theee 2.5" strips) so I can make another version of Comfortable.

The current plan is for this to become a comfort quilt, one that will probably not be finished until 2023.


I also die cut a group of warm neutrals into 2.5" squares, using up the last of each of these fabrics.

Since I didn't pre-calculate exactly how many of either shape I needed, I'm pretty sure I cut too many squares and rectangles.  I'm not worried about it though.  More fabrics makes it easier to design once the segments are sewn together and we all know that leftovers are, as Wanda puts it, seeds for another project.

The box above contains roughly half of the rectangles and all of the neutrals.  Time will tell how closely their numbers match up.


It was so nice outside Sunday that I spent some time on the back porch pairing and pinning so I can use these as leader-enders when I web the two waiting tops, etc.

I'm not in a big rush for this new project, although I'm sure that will change at some point.  

I've given it a working name of CAIM which means "Sanctuary; an invisible circle of protection, drawn around the body with then and, to remind one of being safe and loved, even in the darkest times."  

* * *

Note to file:  My "word" for 2022 has been MAGIC with each post ending in a somehow-related quotation.

Starting with this post, I am going to deviate from MAGIC and use quotations that relate to ART or ARTIST instead.   I have a large number of quotes so this theme may well carry over into 2023.  



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Art has the role in education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else."
Sydney Gurewitz Clemens

(chosen in honor of Little Man's first day of kindergarten)

7 comments:

babs said...

I love the quote. I am also a kindergarten teacher. 😊

Julierose said...

Love this "Zipper" idea--I have a lot of leftover jellies and charms--they may be going to be two new dolly quilts for my grandgirls...thanks for sharing--hugs, Julierose

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the quote, and the quilt's name. Best wishes to your "Little Man" on this new adventure. Hugs~

Bernie Kringel said...

I can't believe Little Man is starting school! Hannah starts kindergarten just after Labor Day. It is crazy and bittersweet. Too fast for me.
Love this quilt plan - also like seeing how you plan and prepare your quilts - it makes them feel so doable to me. Your style is one I greatly admire Julie.

Bernie Kringel said...

One more thing - I love the quote for this post - When Julia was in 3rd grade she had a teacher who would do all of these boring planned art projects. 'Cut this circle, glue it here, nooo, not there - that isn't right, move it over here'. She made me crazy - When these perfect, boring projects would come home it was so anti-climatic for Julia and for me. Ughhh!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh wait!!! Kindergarten???? oh boy!!
Love the premise of your new quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely new project, Julie! When my group made this type of quilt 15+ years ago, we knew it as Bricks and Blocks. I wasn't in charge of the pattern selection and don't recall the source. It's a great scrap eater! First day of kindy? What fun!! I'll bet Little Man is going to be SO tired this afternoon that he will barely be able to hold his eyes open. :o))