A long time ago DH found this small drafting table discarded at the side of the road.
He brought it home and we cleaned it up so I could use it as a trimming table in my studio.
(photo from 2013 - before Max moved in. When Max arrived, the drafting table had to go as it no longer fit any of the available spaces)
Last week as I worked on the blocks for Kefi and Razzle-Dazzle, I found myself standing at the big drafting/cutting table in my design studio for quite a few hours (my legs let me know it was too long).
So I sat down in my sewing chair to rest and pondered.
What if . . . the books on this repurposed bookshelf were moved to the shelf unit in the design studio and the other items relocated (or repurposed) to create a space for some sort of trimming work station?
Hmmmmmmm
I mentioned my thoughts to DH and the next day he came in from his workshop with this base unit (which ironically used to be the table for my die cutter) and a scrap board from the trash (complete with holes in it) to create a mock up.
We both knew we were on the right track so DH continued to ponder the logistical options (as only an engineer can do).
He made a trip to the big box lumberyard and came home with the large wall brackets and a sheet of 3/4" melamine covered board. He used leftover trim to finish the edges and he added the narrow wall shelf.
It works like a charm!
Here is a side view from the doorway. I use the rolling Ikea cart as a supplemental work surface (as needed) when I'm trimming blocks and I roll the chair from my sewing machine over when I need to use the trimming table (version 2.0).
Early week I need to go to the other big box lumberyard and get some new paint - our can of color-matched trim paint was clearly too thick to use.
The good news is the table is fully functional even without its coat(s) of paint.
Color me happy.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“Magic is a natural. It is harmonious movement of energies to create a needed change.”
Scott Cunningham






8 comments:
I think you should hire him out. When can he come to Australia?
Lovely new trimming spot for your studio! What a handy helpmate you have there--he's a "keeper";))) hugs, Julierose
Very cool, and great thinking to have those corners trimmed like that. The only thing that could make it even better is if you could lift it up to put the cart under it out of the way if needed. Though I suspect it's very rare that you'd need to do that.
What a super idea- and practical. I need to look at my space with new eyes as it is very awkward lately. Maybe if I pull some stuff out, I will get some ideas. Maybe not.
Very clever!
Ahh, what a great idea. Love it when things happen in the quilt room that contribute to a well experienced flow.:)
i like the fact that it hasn't got legs so you won't trip over it.
That table is brilliant!! Your hubby is a keeper. Hugs,
Post a Comment