And we have a quilt top!
La Colcha de Muchos Colores (the quilt of many colors) measures 63" wide x 79" long at this point.
(you can read back through previous posts for this collaborative project with Little Man by using the label at the end of this post)
Before the quilt top came the process of sewing things together. I worked top to bottom, one column at a time, assembling 4 piece units.
Here you can see those pressed units for one column stacked atop each other on my cutting table.
One unit at a time, I trimmed/straightened the side edges.
Then I measured each unit to find the narrowest width - one column ended up a consistent 19" wide (fin. 18.5"), the units in another were trimmed to 18.5" (fin. at 18"), and the third set of units was trimmed evenly at 19.25" (fin. at 18.75").
After the units for each column were trimmed to the same width, I sewed the units together.
One column was shorter than the other two so it became the default length for the top.
It took very little time to sew the three columns together and add the borders (Brandon Mably's "Creased" cut 4" using LOF rather than WOF).
* * *
Little Man is pretty excited about his quilt top and is eager for me to "work on my quilt some more using Max."
I seriously doubt I will get the FMQ/binding done before my trip to NH, but it will be a priority once I am home again. And if I don't, someone shorter than I am will surely remind me.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“The most fantastic, magical things can happen, and it all starts with a wish.”
Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio




9 comments:
What a lovely flimsy you've finished...I'll bet Little Man just can't wait to have it for his very own...
hugs for a great upcoming trip to NH Julierose
Your little man is very lucky to have such a loving, caring grandmother. I just love all the beautiful bright fabrics little man picked out and can understand why he is so anxious for you to finish 'his own quilt'. Truth be told, I love the backing as much, or even more, then the front. Showing my age I guess. We have 13 great-grandchildren, and I'm always kept busy sewing for them. They range in age from 3 months to 13 years.
Gorgeous! I'm sure you'll have the quilt done in short order - those short people can be such formidable task masters!
This quilt top is so great! It just screams "happy" with an undercurrent of "boy." I know he's going to be thrilled to see his vision come to life, and will be hoping for cold nights so he can cuddle up under it. Have a safe and happy trip to the Northeast!
That's such a beautiful, lively quilt! So fun to share Little Man's excitement with it!
Love it!!! He will be delighted with this.
This finished so well. It would make a great greeting card. The color blocks work so well with the border. They are just the right colors together. Congratulations on collaboration!
I've really enjoyed watching you and Little Man work on this! And it's going to be a great finish. Congratulations!
Love the idea on the how to do, plus all those bright crayon colors!
Post a Comment