Last September, Wanda sold me these eighteen multi-sized liberated/wonky log cabin blocks.
I immediately named the project Scintillating (meaning animated, vivacious, effervescent)
Despite having lots of ideas, nothing happened other than these photos of the blocks.
Wanda generously included a small handful of KF strips in the package, so I put those with the blocks in a project box.
Fast forward to late February. I decided to use the blocks for a wallhanging rather than trying to add more blocks to make a lap quilt. Each block was enlarged so that it could be squared at 8.5"
In order to use all eighteen blocks, I went with a 3 wide x 6 long arrangement, knowing that the finished piece would hang in our dining room.
As things evolved, I decided to add vertical sashing strips between the three columns. My first thought back when the blocks first arrived was to use one of the bold KF Collective black and white prints as sashing. Time tempered that idea and I chose this KF print instead. (and I'm very glad I did)
For the backing I chose one of my all-time favorite KF prints - Jungle Paisley - in green.
Quilted with liberated all-over spiral fans using Glide thread in Lavender (top) and Basil (bobbin).
Binding is from the same yardage as the sashing.
The colors in this photo are very true to life.
I am SO happy with the way it all came together.
Final size is 26.5" wide x 47" long.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“Surround yourself with the risk takers, storytellers, creators, truth seekers, artists, adventurers, and dream makers, but mostly surround yourself with the people who draw that same magic out of you.”
Brooke Hampton
14 comments:
Perfect name for this glowing quilt, Julie--it is just beautiful...
just lovely work...hugs, Julierose
Perfect size, perfect colors, perfect space- all great! I hope you enjoy it every time you walk by. Thank your for the birthday card! Don't know how you knew. Those squares are such a source of color delights.
Ohhhh I LOVE that one!!! How colorful and just beautiful!!!
Hurray for another colorful finished project! It looks perfect in your space. Enjoy the weekend!
It fits the space perfectly...of course. And how absolutely fun to have a project made in collaboration with Wanda, the color queen!!
It is really pretty and looks just perfect hanging on your wall.
Wow, that turned out so good!! I just couldn't come up with anything to do with the blocks. The lavender fern print looks so good with the blocks, nice and neutral.
So cheerful! Great that it is a wall hanging because you can't help but be happy to see it every time you glance at the wall.
xx. Carol
WOW this looks amazing! Love your choice of sashing.
Wonderful!
I really like this quilt, well, I can't think of one of your quilts I haven't liked. I'm so impressed with seeing it on the wall. How lucky you are to have DH to help with all that! After all, you did the sewing it together!
I so enjoyed your posts and pix of your grandson and his quilts for his folks. It's making me smile as I type this. I like that he made choices about fabrics for parts of the quilts. I want you for MY grandmother! (Very silly of me: I'm 73!)
I always enjoy your blog--thanks you so much for sharing your lovely quilting.
That looks like a perfect fit for the space, Julie. Enjoy your lovely new wall hanging!!
Letting the blocks simmer for a while paid off. Your wall hanging turned out very nicely. (Has something jumped off the shelf to fill that box?)
late with reading but so happy to see how you've put together these beautiful bocks .
Post a Comment