Long ago I made a liberated log cabin quilt named Waste Not, Want Not. Sadly, many of the batiks faded terribly and I used much of the quilt to make placemats plus the long section with my name into a runner. The placemats have continued to fade but I have repurposed the one last survivor (shown here turned to the reverse side) into a utility mat for one of my Raskog cart trays.
Another well-used placemat from younger son's apartment days was turned into a utility mat for his Raskog cart. He uses this in the cart next to his meditation table to remind him to watch out for "squirrel brain" also known as "monkey mind."
This was a runner from his apartment. The runner's length allowed me to make two utility mats.
Both of us like the reverse side better especially since it is far less faded and visually more interesting.
When I played along with Lori from Humble Quilts' Quilts Madder sew-along I made a small quilt that didn't follow her directions much at all. That little quilt, which no longer had a place to hang, has been trimmed down and is now a utility mat.
When Vicki hosted her Drunkard's Path challenge in 2014, I made a runner that has been used on our cedar chest. With the new seasonal mats, this one no longer had a purpose so it, too, has become a set of two utility mats.
Two different bindings, but both mats came from that same runner.
This is the reverse side, which is also a fun look in the studio.
A few years back, I made a series of pillow covers for Autumn. The tree covers have been donated to a good cause. I turned two of the square-patch covers into utility mats. The others were too small to make cart mats so they have been cut into two sets of mats to be used on younger son's bathroom vanity under his mug, soap bottle, mouthwash bottle, etc. (the binding still needs to be finished on those sets).
The runner to cover my computer keyboard has been replaced with a runner made long ago by a friend that fits the situation better. So this reversible runner has been repurposed into two utility mats.
In November 2019, the GREEN 2020 challenge was issued for the 2020 Davies Manor Quilt and Fiber Arts Show. I made two 24" square quilts but the show was cancelled due to COVID. The quilts had no other purpose so . . .
Both of them have been cut down to yield four utility mats. Now they have a purpose in life.
The off cuts from the two GREEN quilts were turned into a third set of small mats for younger son's bathroom.
And lastly, a "fall-ish" runner for the cedar chest (click here - near the end of the post) that no longer has a purpose so it was cut down into two utility mats. This is one side . . .
And this is the reverse side.
* * *
Yes, I made a lot of mats but I have several Raskog carts in the studio plus we have three in other parts of the house. Not all of them have mats in their trays but the ones that needed a mat now have one. Plus all those random unused quilted items are no longer taking up storage space. Another benefit - I used up a LOT of leftover binding (no new binding was created for this project).
This has been a win-win on every level.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“That’s the thing about magic; you’ve got to know it’s still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you.”
Charles de Lint
6 comments:
These mats are so cool and each has a distinct personality!
This is a wonderful idea on repurposing. I’ve got some smaller quilts that I’ll look at to repurpose
I love how you're repurposing unused quilts! When you say you reuse the binding, does that mean you use the seam ripper to take it off and then re-sew it down?
For the sake of others, I will answer the binding question here. Leftover binding in my case is excess binding from previous projects. I tend to cut one extra WOF when making binding for a quilt rather than have to worry about running short. And if there is only a bit of yardage left and the fabric makes good binding, I usually go ahead and make it all into binding. Hope that helps with any confusion about what I meant.
You must not have cars, else they would be perched on these mats, enjoying the trays a d keeping everything Snoopervised.
Such a good idea to use these re-purposed quilts etc as mats for your carts.
Post a Comment