Last November, like hundreds (thousands?) of other quilt makers around the world, I was drawn in by the colors for Bonnie Hunter's 2021 mystery quilt named Rhododendron Trail.
I knew I wouldn't make her mystery quilt design but I pulled colors from my stash to see what I might make instead. 2021's initial plan was to make a string quilt with broken grid (you can re-read that post HERE and see my other NOT a Mystery results HERE.)
Because I prefer scrappy, I also pulled smaller pieces from the resource boxes, but then the project stalled and the boxes sat.
At some point I cut WOF strips from the previously-pulled yardage so I could die cut HSTs for a second NOT a Mystery quilt project named FLANEUR before putting the yardage back in the stash (I wanted/needed the piles off my cutting table).
And as usual, my plans changed again (and again) for both Agglomeration and Flaneur.
Ultimately, I decided to make a set of spring/summer placemats with the WOF strip remains (shown above) instead of making a quilt named Agglomeration.
Over the weekend I sewed rectangles from those WOF strips into scrappy back slabs for six placemats, substituting oranges in place of the yellows (which are now in their resource box).
I cut the reversible side for the placemats from Agglomeration's planned backing fabric.
Once sandwiched with batting excess from larger quilts, these will have their turn with Max before being trimmed to 14" tall x 20" long and bound with my favorite black and white stripe.
* * *
During this four-month journey, I've realized I don't want to make any more NOT a Mystery quilts because I spend far too much time dithering about how to use my mystery-inspired fabric pull instead of actually making what I want to make.
SO, if I am ever tempted again, I will limit myself to a set of six placemats or maybe a runner for my sister (thank you, Little Man, once again).
Piles of yardage can be intimidating.
A pile of scraps on the other hand . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“To each his own magic.”
Libba Bray
.jpg)





5 comments:
Loving how your placemats turned out..so pretty --I really like that orange in among there...nice work hugs, Julierose
Oh yes, I love these colourful place mats and as usual you have glorious backing fabric! Catching up on your last post here also, Inglenook is fabulous, once again a wonderful quilt full of colour.
Your NOT a Mystery series was fun while it lasted, Julie! Kudos for realizing that it's not working for actual quilts any longer. Congrats on finally making SOMETHING from your fabric pull! Those are sure to brighten your table.
This is a nice conclusion to your NOT a mystery phase! The placemats are going to be really pretty.
I like both these color combos. The one in your last post and this one. very dynamic!
Post a Comment