Monday, December 13, 2021

Tweaks and Upgrades



It all started when I re-discovered this small quilt by Wanda.

After hanging it on the wall in the design studio
(instead of continuing to store it in the closet)
I stopped and took a good long look at 
the congested counter top area.

Several things have been bugging me - time to deal with them.




First - I had DH crawl underneath the cabinets
and plug in a 10-outlet extension bar that now lives
underneath my red shelf/riser.

That allowed me to move the label maker 
and the digital photo frame to the right-hand end 
of the counter and eliminate the bulky power strip 
that had lived on the left end from day one.

(the one that made it hard to open
that last tier of cabinet drawers)

I was also able to bring in the Bose radio.

I still need to order the Erskine adapter 
so I can play music through the Bose speakers
 using my phone like I do at my sewing machine.

(via Pandora until our subscription ends
and then it will be Spotify after that)



Moving all those things away from the far left
meant I could slide the quilt basting pool noodles 
all the way to the wall -  thus clearing off 
several inches of prime real estate near the
center part of the countertop.

THAT felt very good.



And when younger son made a couple of changes
in his living area to add an art table,
I was quick to nab this newly-homeless shelf unit.

Now all of my quilting books are out in the open
instead of tucked in an awkward corner of the closet.

MUCH better - especially since
my rocking chair is close by.

(I'm still debating about what to do 
with most of my FMQ books now that my
liberated fans have become my go-to motif)




Adding the bookshelf meant my step stool
had to be relocated so I cleaned out the
cluttered/messy end of my closet 
so it could be hung on the wall (left side).

Win - Win.




This is the end where the books used to be.

All of the shelves were cleaned off
and this is the result - so much better.




And all the while my stash of shirts/shirtings
was sprawled out on the cutting table.

I have two or three ideas in mind for next year 
but I first needed to take inventory 
of what I have to work with.

All in good time.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The chief function of color should be to serve expression.”
Henri Matisse









14 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely picture!! You have a great set up there...hugs, Julierose

Cherie Moore said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR the shirting collection…..the colors are soft and lovely! I have a shirting project I need to get rolling on right after the holidays. I’m still working on the arrangement of my room with the studio cutter and dies being my current challenge.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, maybe I should send you photos of my sewing studio and you could critique away. When you live in a space, it is hard to see what to do to improve it. I have just been sewing and sewing for sanity and the rest of the room looks like it. You did a wonderful job and working in there must be pleasant. I use Pandora, but I don't have a subscription. I don't find the few commercials too annoying. I have a Bose speaker that my iPod used to click into, but wish I could use it bluetooth. Love the sound of Bose. Have a cheap bluetooth speaker now.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

you are just so organized - I truly love to see it and how you make your space work!! Those shirtings.... Yummmm

Nann said...

If that is your entire quilting book collection, I am mightily impressed by your fortitude. And by the empty boxes in your stash closet.

JustGail said...

Your room looks nice! Encouraging. Room for thoughts to circulate. And there's empty spots on shelves!!! My room and shelves - crowded, mess, and obstacle course come to mind. Methinks tis time to buckle down and do some work in here, and I don't mean sewing.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It's so nice when it is all neat and tidy and you can really find what you are looking for. Maybe after Christmas baking is over (haven't started yet!) I can attempt to organize too. I would hate for anyone to see the mess in my sewing areas.

Ellie said...

It’s so satisfying to get organizing like this done! It just feels good! Happy holidays!

Mary said...

It's always fun to see what you do with your space. You have a real gift for organization.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a relief to free up some space in various areas of the studio, Julie. Enjoy!

MissPat said...

Great inspiration for us pack-rats. I just get overwhelmed when I try to envision rearranging my studio.
Pat

Nancy said...

Doesn't it feel good to get a bit of organizing done? I always love the uncluttered feeling it gives me. Too bad it doesn't last past the next squirrel!

Mystic Quilter said...

A superb set up for enjoying quilting! You are so lucky to have a good space/spaces, I have to squeeze everything into a small bedroom I can take some tips from your post Julie to come up with a better arrangement.

Vicki W said...

It feels so good to reorganize and I'm due for a major one!