Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Change of Heart



I finished quilting Optic Strings earlier this week.

Tuesday I sat down to attach the binding.

The solid pink was not quite the right shade of pink
and felt too much like a harsh, rigid frame
so I stopped after the first long side and corner.

What to do?

Take the quilt along and go shop the stash.




I pulled out the other solids and considered options.

Too light, too dark, too bright, too meh, too whatever.

They all went back on the shelves.

And then my eye landed on a partial yard of
Fanciful Forest by MoMo for Moda . . . 

Not a solid and not a reproduction 
like the rest of the top's fabrics.

Mostly pink (which was my first choice) 
but also softer and mottled with other colors 
found in Optic Strings' top and backing.

Oh, yes - this will do beautifully.

I've made new binding 
and hope to have a full-fledged finish
to share with you on Friday.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Living in a zoo means it wasn’t always sparkly dresses, but I would still dress up.  I had this pink sparkly dress and fairy wings, and I’d put those on and then go dance in the zoo.”
Bindi Irwin

7 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Sometimes a project just tells you what's working and what isn't. Your new binding looks much better with this quilt. I'm sure you'll be happier with it than if you hadn't changed.

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are absolutely right about the binding. I am not one of those who make the binding before the quilt is done as I really don't know how the quilt will look or what it needs. Glad you found something. Pays to have a stash.

Julierose said...

Great binding choice...looking forward to seeing your finish on this one! Hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

I agree with your change of binding. I had to do that the other day after I'd cut, pieced, and ironed my binding. The reds clashed and made each other look bad. So it became a scrappy binding and I'm actually happy with that.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like print bindings better than solids most of the time. They give just a hint of motion instead of an abrupt stop.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm much more fond of a print binding. Nice choice, Julie, and happy finishing!

Linda said...

Definitely the right thing to do. Your new binding choice fabric looks great.