Monday, November 22, 2021

The Weekend



Uncle A, can we go out and rake leaves?




They filled three of these carts in under an hour.

(and the trees have only just begun to shed)


(click to supersize)

MeeMah, can we make a quilt for my travel BeeBee?

She doesn't have one of her own.

(we made one for his at-home BeeBee here)




For the sake of attention span,
we made a two-layer whole cloth blanket.

(he picked out his own fabrics from the
overflowing resource box of Kaffe fat quarters)

This is side one . . .




And this is side two.

He was fascinated with the Dr. Seuss quilt
laid out on the design wall - he had to count
the Grinch tumblers and find the one and only
tumbler with Yertle the Turtle . . .
 




Then it back outdoors to trim the hosta stalks.

They have never (ever) been so meticulously pruned.




DeeDah, can we make something in the shop - please?!

(there was a monster truck kids kit from the big box store
waiting at the ready for just this moment)

He builds Kiwi Crate kits with  his parents at home
so following the directions on this one was second nature.




One happy and oh so proud maker
after he added the stickers.




He did his own laundry, including moving 
his wet clothes from the washer to the dryer.

(what an awesome reminder that even our
most mundane chores can be an adventure)




Learning a new way to decorate a wooden Christmas tree
using DeeDah's lathe and Sharpie markers.

Just look at that absolute concentration.




He wants to keep this "forever and ever."

Despite a solid day of cold rain on Sunday,
it was a really wonderful weekend.

The house is so quiet today.

* * *

Wishing each and every one of you a
peaceful and meaningful Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll be back early next week.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I see your true colours shining through.  
I see your true colours and that’s why I love you.  
So don’t be afraid to let them show.  
Your true colours, your true colours, are beautiful like a rainbow.”
Cyndi Lauper

22 comments:

swooze said...

Aawwwwww….

Wendy Caton Reed said...

How sweet! What fun! His tree is amazing. I'm quite sure I would not be that accurate!

Material Girl said...

Looks like fun! Kids love to do things if we just let them .

Paulette said...

Such sweet moments with Little Man! He's growing like a weed, isn't he? He's curious and creative, that's so cool.

Sally Langston Warren said...

You created a weekend full of memories….for all three of you! That precious happy expression on his face with his finished truck….He and his Deedah have the same expression/look so much alike in the photo where he’s applying the marker to the tree. The lyrics from Cyndi Lauper are refreshing……

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love seeing kids making things. It's so much better than playing computer games.

ButterZ said...

Sounds like you all had such a wonderful time.

Quilting Babcia said...

Hard to say who had more fun! Great photos!

Cherie Moore said...

How amazing! Fun everywhere and all kinds of creating. A special weekend indeed!!

Julierose said...

What a sweet and adorable grandson you are blessed with!! He looks so happy to be busy helping out and making things...I'll just bet your house seems so quiet now...
Hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

Julie, such a happy family post! Wonderful photos but I absolutely love the photo of him sitting on your sewing table and the one with him diving deep into the washing machine is brilliant, looks like you had one fun filled weekend.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

How precious! What a wonderful weekend for you all!

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG, Julie! You and DeeDah are the BEST grandparents EVER!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I feel like the energy level just whooshed right thru your house!!! haha! how fun - and oh my gosh - he is just adorable!!!!

MissPat said...

Looks like fun was had by all. The photo with the washing machine is hysterical. Enjoy every moment, they grow so fast.
Pat

Linda Swanekamp said...

Grandkids are the chance to do fun and have fun all over again. Except we need more sleep.

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing that! Don't know if I'll ever have grandkids, but I'm inspired by all your activities!

audrey said...

So sweet and precious. And to think that your kids weren't even sure they wanted children! I love how the little guys open up our eyes to the joys and adventures of life. Lovely times.

Shelina said...

What a great helper! Sounds like a fun weekend. Children are such a joy.

Barb N said...

Big smiles for you! What a joyful time!!!

Mari said...

What a great weekend! A quilt, a car, and a beautiful tree. Have a happy Thanksgiving, Julie!

Magpie Sue said...

He's so tall now! And what a wonderful weekend y'all had. Precious memories.