Friday, November 19, 2021

She Did It AGAIN ...



Cathy has done it again . . . 

Before you read further, go read her last post.

Carpenter's Star is one of the blocks she's considering 
for her ongoing scrap-stash-assault.

As I read her post, my brain leaped to 
a pending future project of my own.




I posted about the original plan for  HERE.

Since then I've gone back and forth and actually 
decided I did not want to make the 
original Chips design in any fabric combination.

(more on that project later in the post)

The name SHIVOO moved to this waiting group of
200 KF 3" (fin) HST halves and some Tula Pink Fairy Dust.

I had been thinking in terms of Depression blocks
ala Gerful, but that plan really didn't excite me - 
and so SHIVOO sat on the shelf waiting . . . until now.




I will make six of the 20" blocks (2 wide x 3 long)
and then add some sort of border.

I also plan to change the four corner squares
from the background (see first photo) to a Kaffe print.

That way the blocks will connect and form 
some sort of secondary pattern.

These stars won't begin until after the first of the year,
but I'm certainly more excited about this approach
than I was over any of the earlier plans.

Edited March 2022

Shivoo did quite a bit of changing direction
and ultimately the fabrics became part of
a series of polka dot quilts.
(look for the 'polka dots' label in the side bar
to see what became of the fabrics)




And then Cathy shared this inspiration photo.

Clearly we all know I adore HSTs and often
use vintage quilts for inspiration.

My polka dot fabric pull for the project named
 JOLLIFICATION (formerly named Shivoo)
will work perfectly for this idea.

(and please don't worry - the switching of 
project names mid-stream confuses me, too)

Edited March 2022

Jollification did quite a bit of changing direction
and ultimately the fabrics became part of
a series of polka dot quilts.
(look for the 'polka dots' label in the side bar
to see what became of the fabrics)




I figured out that I have enough different dots
to use a different one for each set of five HSTs
and even have a few dot options leftover.




I am sure I have enough different black-on-whites
to use a different one for each set of five.



Again, this won't happen until 2022
but I'm happy to be excited by the plan.

Thanks for the inspiration, Cathy!



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“If you use color carefully, that is, placing a softer “off” color next to pure color, it helps add the magic touch to your work – and that special look.”
Gail Boyle

12 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's going to be fabulous. Love your fabric pull.

Cathy said...

Makes me smile!

gayle said...

Our Cathy is a dangerous woman...

Julierose said...

Cathy continually inspires me, too!! She is amazing...
I like your plans for these two quilts...hugs, Julierose

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh my yes, Cathy is a huge source of squirrels, I mean inspiration :)

Sharon Kwilter said...

It's going to be a wonderful project and wow, I've never seen so many polka dot fabrics in one place before. You must really like them. LOL

audrey said...

I think we love seeing your quilts no matter what the names.:) Cathy is amazing how she organizes her sewing. The vintage inspiration gets to me at times too. That strippy hst is definitely going on my Pinterest board!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm loving both of these ideas, Julie!!!

Magpie Sue said...

I've just recently noticed how tall my stack of 3" (f) HST's has become. That second inspiration photo from Cathy looks very tempting... 😁

Barb N said...

Such great plans for the New Year! And you've got it all ready to begin. Something tells me you won't wait until Jan. 1 to begin. It will be lovely!

Millie said...

I love that Carpenter's Star, but the only way I'd make it is if I made one gigantic block the whole quilt. Hmmm...

Mystic Quilter said...

You seem to be back to your usual self now with this post of proposed projects! The number of blocks you're intending to make for Shivoo sounds just right, not too big nor too small. Now, the photo shared with Kathy with those delicious HSTs, somewhere recently I have seen one possibly on line or in one of my scrappy quilt books, whichever I loved it and still do - great for using scraps or yardage as you're proposing to do.