After a bit of tinkering and rearranging,
this was the way Pandemonium looked on the design wall.
Still not loving this . . .
(a) Backgrounds around the two broken dishes blocks are too light
(meaning I unstitched them for a do-over)
(b) The scrappy-framed block (bottom) and combination block (top)
just don't fit the evolving "vibe" of the top
(meaning both were edited from front to scrappy back)
and
(c) and there is no "singing" going on when I look at this
whether in real life or in photos.
(meaning it was time to stop and ponder some more)
As I pondered, I remembered the 12 paper-pieced arcs
from my class earlier this year with Sarah Bond.
(any plans to make enough of these for a lap quilt
evaporated a long while ago)
I quickly laid the arcs on three different pink fabrics -
oh, yes - these need to be brought into the mix.
So I cut twelve 8.5" squares and used a small zig zag stitch
to machine appliqué the arcs to their backgrounds.
And after more editing, more unstitching,
and more re-arranging, I do believe I have found my layout.
The next challenge will be fitting it all together.
* * *
involves symmetry v. asymmetry.
I had thought I would work toward asymmetrical
with this orphan block project, but in the end
I have come back to a gently off-balance symmetry.
That really doesn't surprise me -
I have never been able to force a quilt
to become something it didn't want to be.
The scrappy quilt back will likely
become a very different story.
I am quite sure it will qualify for
the asymmetrical aspect of the challenge.
Time will tell.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“I don’t think I will ever get tired of wearing pink.”
Emma Bunton




13 comments:
Sometimes it takes a bit of shuffling to get to a happy layout.
I’ve been watching and rooting for the broken dishes block to make it to the final layout 😉. I absolutely love the addition of the fans!
There should be some singing going on now! Those fans seem to have been made for that very quilt. Way to go!
By George, I think you've tamed the madness, Julie!! :o))
Love it so far! You have the greatest quilt names!
Honestly, this one doesn't work for me and I can't lay a finger on why, it just doesn't. I'm surprised you keep at it when you have so many other more promising projects underway, but maybe it's become a challenge for you to stick with it until you get it right. Good luck.
Pat
I am enjoying watching Pandemonium evolve and I love this latest incarnation. Now I'm thinking it needs a new name to reflect it's softer, gentler, vibe.
Brilliant solution!!! The intensity of the colors in the fans is much more pleasing than the brights in the blocks you removed. I like where this is going now.
Oh yes! The new arrangement is definitely starting to sing! Your 'gently off balance symmetry' might be my new favorite term. Love it!:)
WOW! Love the revised version and the fans add a lot. Especially in unexpected plaids. I want sure what you were unhappy with but you sure solved it! Nice going.
I love the changes that you have made to this!
I like how this is going! Love those plaid shirting arcs. This quilt will have a lot of character!
Wow I love those arcs that you found...... The quilt is looking very pretty... Can't wait to see it come together.....
Post a Comment