Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Fauve - the Quilt



FAUVE

(adj:  vivid in color)




I started this quilt with leftover strata
made as I prepared to teach at the Folk School in 2019.

Multiple scraps from my students were added to the mix
making this what Gwen Marston called "a floor quilt."




The finished quilt measures 51" wide x 63" long




Quilted with alternating sets of 
five horizontal wavy lines and one row of liberated fans
using Glide thread in German Granit.




The focal fabric for the back was purchased during
an evening field trip with my Folk School class
to Bless My Stitches in nearby Murphy, NC.

Because I needed to enlarge the back,
I split my Ghastlies yardage in half
and alternated the ladies' orientation
since the quilt doesn't have a single orientation.




I do love a good "sassy" backing.




I am SO happy with the way Fauve came together.

It is super, super scrappy and full of saturated colors
with a wonderfully soft quilted texture.

I am looking forward to using Fauve in the recliner
now that Summer is gradually shifting towards Fall.

* * *

To read about Fauve's making process,
click on the label below or use the label
in the list found in the sidebar.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Life is about using the whole box of crayons.”
RuPaul

11 comments:

Kaja said...

Lovely finish! I like the way the darker triangles are very clear in some places and fade out a bit in others.

Pamela Arbour said...

I really like the border you chose. It really draws out the golds in the quilt.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love all the scrappy color goodness in the quilt. The border is perfect. The back is pure fun. Genius idea to change orientation of backing. My grandson turned the quilt I made him backside up and upside down so he could view the dump truck panel right way to him laying down.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy using this fun new quilt, Julie. SEW special with your students' scraps included!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is such a fun and happy quilt with memories woven all through. That was a great idea to split the orientation of the one way fabric on the back.

audrey said...

Fantastic! Loving the saturated colors and scrappy vibe to this one. Such a fun, happy looking quilt!

Kat Scribner said...

Just a lovely quilt. Your combinations are always magical!

Ellie said...

How fun! And to have sweet memories to go along with it makes it extra special! The ladies on the back are perfect . I’m sure you will enjoy using this !

Nann said...

Sassy backing! Great term. And I do like the colorful, shape-full quilt.

JoZart Designs said...

Fauve is wonderful, vibrant, exciting, interesting and I think one of my "Fave" quilts of this you have created.
Jo

QuiltGranma said...

Such happy, joyful color combinations! This is a beautiful quilt.