Monday, August 2, 2021

Farmland - the Flimsy



This was the assortment of fabrics I pulled last January
for September's kitchen table quilt.

(for those who might not know about my 12-quilt project,
click HERE for the "introductory" post)




After the pieces were pressed, 
I grouped them on the design wall
by approximate size so I could
better visualize what I had to work with.

It was at this point that I decided to make 
a slab quilt for September.




By the end of February
there were nine slabs
laid out on the design wall.

After each slab was assembled
it was put back in the project box.




Now the nine slabs have been squared to 20" 
and sewn together with a 3" all-around border.

(I'll square those corners after quilting)




The fabric hanging on the left will be
used to back Farmland.

(Cotton and Steel yardage from 2018)




I have a rough idea of how I want to quilt Farmland.

Time will tell if that plan sticks around.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I'm grateful for everything that's green.”
Audrey Hepburn 

15 comments:

Julierose said...

I love "Farmland" those colors are really evocative! Nice work on this hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like a great addition to your collection, Julie!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is amazing. It is a gorgeous aerial view. Love all the textures and combos. Love it!

Quilting Babcia said...

Though there are no spacious skies or purple mountain majesties this quilt sings of Amber Waves of Grain, and that song is destined to be my "ear worm" for the day. Beautiful!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Amazing! I can feel myself flying over the midwest looking down at the crops. Gorgeous!

Mari said...

Looks perfect for September! I love all the greens.

sue s said...

A nice, autumnal quilt. And to me it also speaks of the Midwest farm country. Love it.

Elaine Adair said...

Lovely crops growing - no pivots needed in that country! I'm looking for a barn in a corner? 8-)))

Paulette said...

Since the hubs has been doing all the driving since my hand surgery, I've relished sitting in the passenger seat gazing out the window at the farmland around here. Your quilt is a wonderful representation! Love those beautiful patches of gold, brown, and green.

Ellie said...

Looks like farms laid out! Love it!

Barbara said...

I love this quilt! It reminds me so much of farmland. The color combination is beautiful and lush. The slabs are perfect representation of fields.

Ann said...

Well named. It looks like farmland.
I'm glad to know someone else keeps those extra bits on the corners until quilting is done. Something to hang on to.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I see Crop Circles !! I love it!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely reminds me of a childhood spent living by a farm, your colours perfectly fit the changing of the seasons, summers, the gold and brown of the hay making season, the shape of the fields themselves.
Lovely quilt top Julie.

Nann said...

When I fly I love looking down at the farmland and seeing the section lines (now roads), the brighter green of irrigated fields, and the little knots that are towns. Your quilt design is very evocative. And I agree that circles would be a great way to quilt this.