Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Dumpster Diving 11 - Mischief Maker - the Quilt



And then it was finished . . . 

Dumpster Diving 11 - Mischief Maker

48" x 60"




This was my 2020 Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.

I made two blocks each month January-October
loosely following Angela's color prompts.




Each of the blocks was quilted using
one of twenty different colors of Glide thread.

(you can read all of the previous posts
for this quilt using the label for Dumpster Diving 11
below the quotation at the bottom of this post)




I saved the excess binding from Spotty Town - 
and there was just enough to use on Mischief Maker.

(just enough = less than 8" leftover)




This is the second of the quilt's corners.




This is the third corner.




And this is the fourth corner.




The colorful birds were absolutely the right choice.

(one consistent bobbin thread was used)




I know that I've declared Mischief Maker
to be the end of my Dumpster Diving series . . . 
but that does not mean I'll stop playing with 
the boxes of leftover 1.5" scrappy strips.

There will be enough, even after the six Etcetera quilts,
to make lots of different kinds of utility mats.



Because, in the end, these little bits and pieces 
are just so much fun to work with and,
when sewn together, have so much impact.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"This may sound a bit simple, but the rainbow was my teaching source about mixing color."
Jim Prescott

19 comments:

Angie said...

Love it!! It's all right up my alley, from the deep, rich colors to the striped binding to the birdville backing!

Julierose said...

Just such a beautiful finish...I love those colors--really sparkling..
hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a colorful finish- for the quilt and the series. I just love the binding. All those thread changes, wow. The colors are so rich and saturated.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on another fabulous finish, Julie, and a spectacular WIN at Binding Chicken!! :o))

Linda said...

Fabulous quilt. The binding and backing fabrics are perfect choices.

Dorothy said...

You and your scraps continue to amaze me

Lynn said...

A beautiful quilt, such patience and all those seams! Great job, inspiring.

Lesley Gilbert said...

I've loved watching this quilt progress to the finish and that binding is so cute :)

Ellie said...

What a joyful quilt! I’m looking forward to watching what else you create with these little pieces. Enjoy playing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love this one, you're right~ those parrots were the absolute perfect choice for the back! It looks to me like you finish your bindings (perfect binding fabric too, by the way!) by machine. Do you stitch them from the front side in the ditch?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it is awesome!! All those colors turned out so happy with each other - and that binding - what a perfect way to put it all together!!

Mari said...

So pretty, Julie, with a great binding. And of course you'll still be keeping and using those 1-1/2 inch strips! So many pretty things to make with them. Have fun!

QuiltGranma said...

Beautifully scrappy even to the binding = perfect!

ButterZ said...

I do like this mischief maker quilt. The blocks are a great way to use those small strips.

Cathy said...

Another lovely project completed! I just love those blocks. The backing is perfectly spectacular!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mischief Maker is just gorgeous! I love seeing it finished - so much scrappy goodness. And then there's the quilting, backing, and binding to look at, too! Congratulations on your finish!

Susie H said...

Wow! Stunning! Love every little bit of this quilt!

Vicki W said...

Another beauty! That backing is absolutely perfect for it.

Mystic Quilter said...

A visual feast for the eyes!!! Love this one Julie, glorious colour.