Once I decided to stop my Dumpster Diving series
with No. 12 - Journey's End,
I spent some time sorting the remaining leftovers
into color groups.
Since then, I've been pondering projects to use all those 1.5" pieces.
I've settled on five:
You've already met Hoppipolla and Nubilous.
This post introduces Smitten.
("marked by foolish or unreasonable fondness")
I still remember the first time I saw this inspiration quilt
on Amanda Jean Nyberg's blog . . .
The four patches finish at 2" . . .
At the time I thought this was insanity
but now I'm looking at it with a different set of eyes.
It's perfect for some of those leftover Dumpster Diving pieces.
I will use the leftover light print from Yuletide,
especially since 225 2.5" squares were already cut out and waiting
with enough 10" squares to cut more than enough for this project.
And this beautiful yardage that has been waiting in the stash
for far too long will make a perfect quilt back.
And of course, I just HAD to make three tiny four patches
to test my theory . . . Smitten will not happen overnight
but it will be something really wonderful when it is done.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Colours are brighter when the mind is open.”
Adriana Alarcon






18 comments:
I had forgotten about this quilt. It will really use up all those little piece.
I have one of Amanda’s and Cheryl’s books and this pattern of 4-patch Squares has appealed to me, too,so, TODAY, I’m going to look through my bins to pick out the fabrics, and maybe even the 4-Ps since they are hiding somewhere. But I wont hold my breath to see it done too soon, since the little bits require “Time”. Besides, I also have a quilt idea waiting to grow with all sizes of Triangles.
I’m adopting your idea of naming the “To Be” Quilts because then they are are more real!
Thanks for all your inspiring ideas. Love your site.
OH yes...what a lovely quilt!! That will be amazing, as is your inspiration quilt!
Good thing you looked with a different set of eyes! Yes, it will be wonderful. I like your choice of fabric for the alternate squares.
I looked back at the reference quilt and it looks like it was never shown finished. I wonder if she ever finished hers. Have you decided on what color the plain block will be? I think it is a wonderful idea.
Ooh - inspiration indeed! The neutral you are using is perfect. I think I’ve found my next leader-ender project!
That is quite a long term challenge on those blocks--but your first four promise that it will be such a beautiful finish;)))
Lovely fabrics...I am still following my Geese on their flight; and have finished the 1st 30 log cabin blocks...i decided to leave them at 8.5" (ran out of fabrics really hahaha)
Good luck on your new endeavor Hugs, Julierose
I, too, was inspired by Amanda Jean's quilt but mine was made with 2" squares and it's still not quilted, of course. I really like your choice of background fabric and backing.
You have a good thing going there! I have several of Amanda Jean Nyberg's quilts on my bucket list! They can be intimidating until you figure out how to organize the steps and get to the end! I don't like small pieces! LOL
This is going to be great!!
As always - fantastic word names, beautiful colors and fabric to piece!! Thank you for sharing your inspiration!
Your alternate square fabric is perfect, a little life in it but still neutral.
SEW... Have you come up with the name of the 6-quilt not-a-dumpster-diving series, Julie??? This quilt looks like a great addition to the lot of them.
I love this. I am gonna do this. I could make a hundred of these
Ooooo - Yes! Your neutral and backing for a fun scrap project = I'm smitten, for sure! This is another really fun series that you've got going. :)
Great inspiration, I may just have to steal the idea for making a quilt for family! Out of EVERY little piece of fabric, beginning with what I purchased in the 1990's! If i can get to them! (storage, with things piled in the "hallway".
Oh yes, Smitten will be very, very sweet when finished!
A great way to use up all the scraps! I'm currently slowly working on my Postage Stamp quilt but I know there will be a ton of squares left over - perhaps another idea for a quilt having seen this post!
Post a Comment