Sukoon
(An Urdu word, the national language of Pakistan and 1 of 23 in India,
Meaning peace, calm, relief, serenity, wholeness, and tranquility)
The finished quilt measures 54" wide x 66" long
The last time I shared photos of Sukoon,
the newly-finished quilt top did not have borders.
When I pulled it out to prepare for the free motion quilting process
I was still not totally in love with the top.
Adding a narrow dark green batik inner border
and Grunge outer borders/binding made all the difference.
Quilted with my all over liberated fans and flowers
using Glide thread in Pink Rose.
In earlier posts for Sukoon I showed a photo
of the hot pink backing with large stylized elephant heads.
Obviously that changed, too.
These quirky owls are a much better fit.
(Art Gallery Lugo collection by Jessica Swift for Angles
purchased from Needle and Foot - Bernie's Etsy shop)
I made sure to include more liberated flowers this time
including several that spill out into the border.
Now that Sukoon is finished
I'm very happy with quilt.
Proof yet again that if we as makers listen carefully
to the quilt, it will tell us what we need to know.
* * *
I'm linking this post with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge
(even though Sukoon wasn't one of my RSC-specific projects)
since there's lots of scrappy goodness featuring this month's PINK color.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”
Attributed to Audrey Hepburn







32 comments:
I agree. The borders really added to the finish. Great quilting.
It is amazing how much a border can add to a quilt; I am always dithering about making border decisions--with good reason, I guess...;)))
Super pretty and serene piece...hugs, Julierose
I love the dark green - it just lifts everything. You are right: the quilt always knows best.
One of my favorite colors is pink and your quilt is beautifully executed!!!!kudos!
I love the owls Julie. Great job as always!
I love this quilt! I’m not a fan of sewing strips but I think I can now be convinced to try it! The quilting is wonderful and the owls make the back fun too. Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
Your quilt is beautiful! That backing choice is much better with lots of contrast.
There is subtle movement in this quilt. If it were blues, it would remind me of a lake surface being disturbing by a gentle breeze. The dark green inner border makes the perfect accent.
Pat
Oh, I love it! Looks like a warm hug! I love all the pinks, and the border really does add to it. The owls were a wise choice, too. :) Great name as well. Another winner all around!
Love the quilt! Nice finish! You’re right, quilts tell us what they need.
This is gorgeous! The quilting adds so much to this already incredible quilt. I agree about listening to the quilt - do what it wants and you will be much happier.
You listened well to the quilt! I love it, especially the dark pink border and the backing. Perfect! There is much wisdom is listening :)
What a terrific finish! Love the quilting texture and look. The backing is perfect. The border adds to the overall look. When I mention listening to the quilt, most people think I am a bit looney.
Lovely finish. I really like the quilting texture and think adding borders was a good choice. I seldom use borders to the point that I don't often even think about them and yet I did go with borders for a recent Christmas finish because it definitely made the quilt.
Hot Pink, my favorite! Love love love! Absolutely beautiful quilt, Julie!
So many quilts don't need borders. This one needed one to unify the beautiful variations of pink. It looks like a Valentine full of love to me.
I can see why "in the pink" is a good thing. I love love love your quilting. I really have a difficult time adding borders because I never know what to add and I am trying to make do and I rarely have enough of any fabric for a border. Maybe my quilts just need to speak up a little louder so I can hear them. I can see from your quilt that sometimes borders add a lot...a beautiful picture frame.
It's wonderful in every aspect and those quirky owls are absolutely perfect on the back~ "WHOOOOO's listening?" ;)
Love, love, love this quilt! Great job, Julie.
Congrats on a beautiful PINK finish, Julie!! Perfect choice considering this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
A great finish! Love the darker inner border, just draws out all the colours in some way.
Love this quilt ! The borders are perfect and the back is perfect too :-)
I really love this quilt!! The 2 borders and the quilting motifs raise the simple piecing to a whole new level! Bravo!!
Gorgeous quilt, Julie! The quilting is amazing and the backing is perfect!
Amazing how Sukoon looks all pink until we dive in deeper and deeper. That's a beautiful quilt, and I love the meaning behind the name!
Pretty in pink, nicely framed by the borders! Another lovely finish!
A lovely quilt. The borders improve it; good decision. Of course, I love any owl so the backing is wonderful! And your quilting... the flowers mixed with fans. How skilled you have become. Congratulations on another beautiful finish.
I knew you would use that owl fabric in the right way! It was a great print - well done Julie!
Perfect with the border Julie and I love the meanings of the word Sukoon - just what I need in my life right now!!!
I "sa-woon" for Sukoon! Really pretty, Julie!
Wonderful quilting! Complements it all so well. Love, love love the quirky strip piecing and happy vibe to this one.:)
It's a beautiful quilt and I like the quilting that you did on it.....
Post a Comment