Monday, January 18, 2021

Haimish - the Quilt



Haimish - a double four-patch quilt.

"homey, cozy, unpretentious"




Started in late 2018 when I cut 3" strips from 
my overabundance of 30s reproduction prints.

At some point in 2019 I cut the alternating squares
from a gently-mottled Moda double-pink.

(the color variations in the pink are subtle but there's more life
in the squares than there would have been with a true solid)

The blocks were pieced and the top sewn together in July 2020.
 



Quilted with my liberated echoed orange peels
using Affinity Mauve (variegated) on top
and Glide Pink Rose in the bobbin.




Finished size 50" wide x 60" long

Backed with Mosaic Circles from the Kaffe Fassett Collective.

(not a typical backing for a vintage-looking quilt top
but to me it seems to ground the whole quilt - 
maybe because it ties together all of the colors
or maybe because the circular patterns in the back
echo the orange peel shapes . . .  either way, it works for me)




Scrappy binding made up of lots of short lengths of 
leftover pink 30s repro fabrics - it felt so good to 
release them from the storage box and let them be used.

* * *

It was cold and windy while taking these photos - 
I was fascinated by the quickly changing sky with
alternating heavy/dark/threatening clouds 
and blue skies with white puffy clouds.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites.”
Marc Chagall

 

15 comments:

ButterZ said...

That’s a lovely finish especially because it uses up scraps

Julierose said...

I think this quilt is so comforting looking with those pink outlined blocks. Lovely work hugs, Julierose

Pamela Arbour said...

Those simple quilts are always so appealing to me. I like the pink you chose for the alternate blocks. Great quilting.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is beautiful!! your quilting really makes this one shine!!

Ellie said...

I love Hamlisch and think the backing is perfect! I says we’re not really living in 1930! You quilting is nice and fits with the ‘30s look.

Deb Mac said...

This is the quilt that lead me to your blog. Absolutely love it. Nice 30s prints are getting harder and harder to find. I have some but not enough to do all the 30s quilts I would like to do. Guess I'd better go shopping.Thanks for sharing this one again.

Bernie Kringel said...

Wonderful finish! I am such a fan of simple and this really does it for me. Love it.

Brenda said...

I love the Marc Chagall quote!! Of course, I love the colors in the quilt! The backing is a great complement to the front design.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on another fine quilt finish, Julie! You did a great job with those liberated orange peels for the quilting. When I tried them, I didn't do half as well!

Ann said...

Double pink and double circles. Delightful!

Paulette said...

Such a fun and springy looking quilt, and nicely photographed against the fence and a moody sky! Love the quilting on it as well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Beautiful in it's simplicity! I love the orange peel quilting too!

sue s said...

I may borrow your quilting idea for my next alternate-block quilt, coming up later this year. Looks cozy!

QuiltGranma said...

Love your 4-patch quilt with the mottled pink alternates. May have to use that idea myself!

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely a glorious finish bringing to mind the three words you mention. The KF fabric looks amazing as the backing - forgive short comments I'm trying to catch up on four of your posts!