Thursday, December 31, 2020

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2021




With tomorrow being the start of a new calendar year,
I have chosen two projects for my eighth year
of participation with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

There were lots of other interesting ideas
that nearly pulled me into their rabbit holes, but
I want to keep my RSC projects simple(r) this year.

My most important project will be to make
at least four and hopefully more of these
lined drawstring gift bags each month.


As we cleaned up wrapping paper, bows, and boxes last week
I was more sure than ever that I WANT to make these bags.

Key reasons?  

I'll free up storage space because
I won't have to store stacks of empty boxes, 
multiple rolls of wrapping paper, 
two boxes of random gift bags,
and a too-big box full of ribbons and bows.

Plus the actually wrapping process will be easier,
 we will generate far less trash,
and I'll be able to use more fabric from the stash.




I have pulled eight different fabric combinations 
for January's color of the month - PINK.

I plan to make one of each of the pattern's sizes.

(except for the very smallest one)

They will give me a visual on the various sizes
and that will help me know which ones 
to make more or less of each month.

I've assigned this project a label of 
"lined drawstring bag" 
to make it easier to search for related posts
as the year goes along.




My second project will involve orphan blocks,
fabrics from the crumb and resource boxes,
and other bits and pieces from the stash.

We have two round end tables that flank our fireplace.

I want to make sets of two 16" x 16" utility mats
for those tables  - along with pairs of mats
like the unfinished ones above for use on the hearth -
to protect the bottoms of DH's wood artwork displayed there. 

The two unfinished mats above 
(shown front/top and back/bottom)
were made using a stack of leftover tumbler blocks.
(quilted with Glide thread in Willow
using my liberated fan design)



As another example, the nine-block pieces on the right
 involve 6" orphan HST blocks made into 5" QST blocks.

The 12" x 55" runner (left) in the making 
will be for my sister's house in Michigan. 

I've assigned this project a "utility mat" label
for easier searching later on.


* * *

Here's to another year of playing/creating 
with colorful scrappy goodness.


You can find the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Angela hosts a weekly RSC link-up
which is always full of colorful projects. 

(so much inspiration there)

RSC is open to all - come join the fun!

* * *

You can read about my previous
RSC adventures HERE.

(and for those who are here because of RSC,
you might want to check out this post
so you understand the story behind this year's
quotations that follow each post)




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The key of D is daffodil yellow, B major is maroon, and B flat is blue.”
Marian McPartland

16 comments:

linda said...

Love your idea utility mats!

Angie said...

I love Jeni Baker's bag pattern and have used it for gift-giving and quilt storage. I like the idea of having a ready stash of bags, and gosh what a stash-buster!
On another note: thanks for teaching me a new word - Jomoh. This may be my word for 2021!

Janet said...

I love the idea of making bags each month! Can you tell me about the beautiful diamond item you have in the picture above? It is beautiful and I would love to learn how to make!

Quiltdivajulie said...

To Janet (no-reply blogger) - the diamond quilt is a lone star made from a book by Jan Krentz VERY early in my quilting journey (maybe the third class I'd ever taken?). The book's title is Spiral Lone Star Quilt: Strip & Paper-Pieced Medallion Quilt.

Kaja said...

I've been using fabric bags instead of wrapping paper this year and encouraging people to keep them and resuse. It has felt very satisfying, so I hope you progress well with this goal.

Ann said...

A friend's mother made similar bags for years (although unlined.) What a good way to reduce stash and trash.
And the table runner looks lovely. Your husband's art will be set off beautifully on these sophisticated greens.

audrey said...

So much fun to follow along with you on your series work.:) And great idea about the bags! You'll smile every time you get them out again!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your plans for this year. It will be cool to see all your drawstring bags - I think this is a great idea. Years ago I started wrapping in pillowcases - and holee cow - that saved a ton of room! Good luck!

Cathy said...

Bags are a wonderful idea. I made a lot of them ages ago that were unlined and still use them because I always ask for them back before everyone leaves my house if they are family members. I also used to make everyone pillowcases and used that as a gift wrap for other things. Also have made embroidered towel, crochet dishcloth, hot pad sets and used the dishtowels for the wrapping. Mostly now at Christmas I fill big stockings with all the gifts for kids and grandkids. It's usually a lot of fun to hunt for small items for the stockings. I ask for those back before everyone leaves the house too. I don't think I've bought any type of wrapping paper for years.

I was thinking of making a few table mats and buffet toppers this year too for Joyful Quilters Table Scrap Challenge. I love your HSTs turned QSTs.

Mystic Quilter said...

Big sigh from me as I see your well laid plans for projects with RSC and I had thought of joining in this year but I have enough projects planned and don't want to be stressed. Love the runner and the nine block pieces, lucky sister!!

mangozz said...

Great idea to use fabric bags for gifts! You could use them for other holidays and celebrations like birthdays too. It certainly would make a dent in the fabric stash. I love that rolling cart that has the mesh wire drawers. Could you share where you got that?

scraphappy said...

Those bags are sure to use up lots of fabrics and simplify the gift giving process. Sounds like a fun plan.

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to see you linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Julie! It looks like your project aligns with my TABLE SCRAPS Challenge that I'm doing my blog along with Angela's RSC this year. Good idea to make those lined drawstring bags in a rainbow of colors!

Barb said...

Don't laugh but I used pillow cases to put some of my Christmas gifts in...I really like your idea but the pillowcases had quilts in them too big for wrapping or bags. I did mostly bags this year and clean up was so much easier.

Susie H said...

I'd be interested in learning more about your liberated fan quilting so I'll be checking out the note on the sidebar. Thank you. It's beautiful with so much texture but not taking away from the fabrics or design. Organization is key to output and you seem to have it under control. Loved the quote and the meaning behind it. Was impressed with your 2 bookcases of organized color. Beautiful!

Deb A said...

Love the idea of the draw string bags and the table toppers look great using up those quilt parts.