Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Holiday Memories Bloghop



Welcome to my post 
as part of Bernie's blog hop.




Let's start with Humphrey.

He's been part of our family for years.

(the crewel embroidered pillow is one
that I made when our oldest was a little boy)




These paper mâché angels come from DH's childhood.




And so does this Santa figure.

DH bought it for his mother in 1957.




This ornament represents one of 
my few good grade school memories.

We made ornaments that year using real ice cream cones,
styrofoam balls, pins, glue, sequins, and glitter.




Friends of my parents gave me this ornament in the 50s.

They bought it at Marshall Fields in Chicago
which was a very big deal in those days
especially since we lived several hours away.




My mother bought two personalized ornaments 
for my sister and me when we were in our teens.

When DH and I married, I bought one for him.

When each of the boys were born, I added their ornament.

When our oldest son married, I added one for our DIL.

And when Little Man was born, I added his to our collection.

I can still remember the first time our DIL saw her ornament
when they came for a family dinner -  her smile was priceless.

(ordered from Bronner's in Frankemuth, MI,
a truly magical place to visit)




These two counted cross stitch pieces 
are ones I made and framed years and years ago.

If you supersize the photo, I think you can read
the stitched year each of the boys drew their Santa.




These vintage sleigh bells were part of a huge collection
of bells amassed by DH's grandmother.

We keep them out year round in one of DH's turned bowls
because they're just too cool to pack away.




When we converted to mini white lights for our backyard fence,
I just couldn't throw away all of the vintage white C9 bulbs.

Each holiday season they appear 
in different bowls/vessels somewhere in the house.

This little book is one of MY holiday favorites.

The vintage runner was my mother's - 
I had Chris quilt it for me long before I learned FMQ.



This vintage newspaper comic strip 
clearly illustrates why it takes me several days
to unpack and put our holiday things out each year. 



And finally, white lights are a constant 
that runs throughout our holiday decorating.

We used to use lots of multi-color lights
but the year that our younger son was on a ventilator 
in ICU from Thanksgiving weekend
until Christmas Eve afternoon
our sensitivities and preferences changed profoundly.

(bilateral pneumonia - he was in his early 20s)

Calming white lights now represent hope for our family.

And hope is something we all need, especially this year.

And so our traditions continue to evolve.


* * *

To read about the tales and traditions others are sharing,
check out the most up-to-date list of links over at Bernie's blog
or click through to visit the participants using the links below:














* * *

Thanks - and for those who checked out
last week's Guess Who photos,
Bernie posted a follow up over the weekend
just in case you're curious to see who really is/was who.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“People don’t always need advice.  Sometimes all they really need is a hand to hold, an ear to listen, and a heart to understand them.”
Zig Ziglar

 

24 comments:

Preeti said...

It is amazing how many memories and "articles" can be amassed over a single lifetime. Loved the comic strip :-D My mom is a minimalist and she believes in getting rid of things as soon as possible. "Where is my woolen embroidered tunic", I asked her last week. I had two - maroon and fuchsia and I loved them. I am sure she gave them away when I came to the US. She does not even remember. I must get one when I visit India next. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Pamela Arbour said...

Thank you for sharing. That is sweet that you could continue the Christmas ornaments with the addition of family members as they come. I hope you are able to enjoy your holiday with your family this year.

Lesley Gilbert said...

Loved reading your stories and the sentiments that went with them. Wish I had some ornaments from when I was younger, but I still have some memories. Wishing you a Merry Christmas from across the pond :)

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

You have some beautiful pieces that bring back such great memories for you and your family. Having lived in Michigan for 60+ years, Bronners was almost an annual tradition. We both have ornaments with our names. I love how you made additions to yours. I am with you, those bells would be out year round and I love the bowl. I admire turned bowls every time I see them. Enjoy your holidays and stay safe.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

So many memories and traditions are held in your ornaments. I love your decorated chandelier and the ice cream cone ornament. Thanks for sharing your Christmas memories.

Judy in Michigan said...

Loved your post and so many memories! I'm like that too and so is my DH. Many ornaments from Bronners too!! I picked your picture (it was either #7 or #11 - looked for very blond hair) so I chose #7 because of your coat. I had one like that with the velvet collar.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!!

piecefulwendy said...

I enjoyed seeing the many items in your home that hold so many memories. And the white lights - what a lovely idea, and wonderful reminder for all of us. Thank you for sharing!

Barb N said...

Thank you for your Christmas home tour. It brought a smile to my face. I especially liked the comic strip - so true! Four minutes flat - that would be my husband.

Bernie Kringel said...

Julie, Such beautiful decorations - thank you for sharing the history behind them. Love the vintage runner, the bell collection and the way you decorate the chandelier. Your home must look beautiful this time of year.
The Luann comic strip is so appropriate. It reminded me of a picture my son sent me a week ago. They put up their Christmas tree and it was the first year my grand daughter was truly old enough to enjoy the process and help. Of course 95% of the ornaments are on the bottom 1/3 of the tree. It is adorable. Thank you for your memories and traditions Julie.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Me too, it takes hours to put ornaments on the tree. So many have special memories and dates! Love your bowls of special things like the vintage white lights and the jingle bells. Beautiful turned wood bowl! Merry Christmas!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your house would be a joy to visit at Christmas time with all of the thoughtful and meaningful decorating. Just beautiful.

Mari said...

What a beautiful, warm home, full of happy memories! I love the ornaments from the years of your family, and also the wooden bowls. The chandelier is lovely, and I love the meaning behind the white lights. We've always had both white and colored lights, a bit of brightness and joy in a dreary winter. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and best wishes for a wonderful 2021.

LA Paylor said...

so touching...

Kathy H said...

Wonderful memories. Since we won’t have out of state family coming this year, I’m trying to look at our decorations and remember the memories that come with them.

cdpquilter said...

Thanks so much for sharing your holiday joy. Your photos and memories are fantastic! Happy holidays.

Ann said...

So many joyful memories in your house this season and always. Merry Christmas.

Sandra Walker said...

What a wonderful post to read Julie! I used to have coloured lights, but now just the clear ones that read gold. I've been to Frankenmuth, and yes it is magical! It's about 1.5 - 2 hours north of me :-)

Leanne Parsons said...

I remember that particular comic, lol! Your cross-stitched Santas are such a wonderful keepsake :)

Kathleen said...

I loved seeing all the meaningful ornaments and pieces of Christmases past. It is interesting how things can change. I am missing seeing family this year, but grateful to be here to say so.

Paulette said...

So nice to see and read about your special ornaments and decorations! Love the cross-stitched pieces, and that bowl of white light bulbs. Very clever!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

For me, Christmas decorating is all about the tree, so I enjoyed seeing some of your ornaments and reading the stories behind them. Some of my favorites are the ones my kids have made at school with their pictures. It's fun (and a little bittersweet!) to hang them on the tree each year and see how much they've grown and changed!

JoZart Designs said...

I really enjoyed reading all about all your precious Christmas treasures and your quote moved me so much, especially as I have been parted from my family this year due to the pandemic. I follow your blog and gain so much from you although I rarely comment, for which I must apologise. This gives me the opportunity to Thank You, to wish you Happy Christmas and to hope you will be able to share time with your family.
"All You Need is Love"
Jo in Liverpool, England

Juliana said...

Thank you for sharing all these mini-stories about Christmas at your house. I loved how you have special ornaments and decorations that mean so much to you.

Mystic Quilter said...

Super story of your Christmas Holiday Tales and Traditions, such a happy and interesting read. You do have so many memories in your home at Christmas.