Friday, October 23, 2020

Yuletide is on the Design Wall



Younger son helped me get the planned layout
for Yuletide started one evening last week.

I carried on to get the snowflake outline in place
before stepping back to take stock of how well

Maybe it could work with heavy custom quilting
but not so much with my liberated all-over FMQ.



A lot of squares were moved around
(several more than once)
before I settled on this color burst arrangement
which is still missing its upper rows
because I couldn't stretch any higher.




After adding those upper rows
and a bit of all over tweaking,
this was the result.

MUCH better.




Here are the first ten columns 
taken down and clipped for webbing . . . 




. . . the final ten columns are still on the design wall.

(this one absolutely requires the step stool to reach the top -
my cobbled-together high-rise work surface (left) 
definitely reduces the number of trips up/down the stool's steps)

For those with eagle eyes,
this photo was indeed taken before the blocks for
DD11-Mischief Maker were sewn together into a top - 
they're next to the power strip.




I pulled this yardage from the stash for Yuletide's backing . . . 




along with this delightful polar bear panel
which will add the perfect spark of holiday whimsy.

LOTS of stitching ahead . . . 

* * *

Inspiration source:



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“If we’re ready to listen, the obstacles we face can be life’s way of pushing us in the right direction.”
Mark Black

17 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Snowflake is gorgeous--this looks like a lot of stretching up
work...[that is exactly how I strained my arm/shoulder]...step stool is the way to go for sure...I love your choice of backing...great fabrics..and the panel is so cute...this will be a real beauty;))
Hugs, Julierose

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful and fun!!!

MissPat said...

Another great panel to include in the backing. I've been thinking about the panel backs and realize it would be a great way to back those kids quilts that are just a little bit bigger than a single width of fabric. Put some wide borders on a kid friendly panel and a unique backing results. Thanks for another great idea.
Pat

Deb Mac said...

I liked your arrangement so much, I ordered the pattern. It was even on sale! I like this one equally well. I love red and green together and this is an all winter quilt not just Christmas. Great job!

sue s said...

I love the way you are framing this pattern. It is a going to be a great decorative quilt.

Judy Cloe said...

I have never cared for this pattern after seeing several of the finished quilts made my members of my quilt guild. BUT, your final arrangement is stunning and I really like it. Good work!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Ho ho heavenly! Love it.

Linda M said...

I love your arrangement for this quilt! Is the panel a recent purchase? I have a special place in my heart for polar bears... if you have the info, it would be appreciated.

Barb N said...

I adore Christmas quilts and yours will be just lovely! Your design wall is wonderful, too! Jealous....

Paulette said...

I like the rearrangement! It's going to be another winner-winner, front and back!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great arrangement! All those fabrics are working so well together.

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your process/thinking, insights are fascinating.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your revised color placement almost looks like a close-up of a Christmas ornament hanging on the tree. LOVE it!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your final arrangement is great!

Lynette said...

What a pretty Christmas quilt! I love it both ways, actually, and what a fun polar bear panel for the back. :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Your tweaking paid off so well, Love the final arrangement.

Mari said...

Love this! It's going to be a very festive and cozy Christmas at your place this year!