Monday, September 7, 2020

Sukoon - the Flimsy



Sukoon is now a quilt top.

48" wide x 60" long




As much as I like the version of Slopes in the book
(No Scrap Left Behind by Amanda Jean Nyberg)
I must confess to being somewhat underwhelmed 
by my non-solid scrappy version.

I can see two things right off that I would
 do differently if I use this design again.

When choosing fabrics I'd adjust the level of
contrast to show off the "slopes" more effectively
and I would definitely make my angled trimming 
more pronounced and less timid.

HOWEVER . . . 

Sukoon wasn't meant to be a copy of the book's version.

It was intended to be a scrappy comfort quilt.

And it is.

So all is well.


* * *



My book's publisher (AQS)
is currently planning to liquidate 
all remaining copies of my book.


So, before they're officially "sold out"
I'm offering autographed copies for $10.00 each
with free domestic USPS media mail shipping.

(Amazon sells the book for $24.95)
 
Now is the time if you want/need 
a copy for your studio bookshelf,
your guild's raffle table / library, 
a 4-H, church, school, or scout group,
the local senior center's book exchange,
your nearest Little Free Library,
 or for birthdays or other gift-giving occasions
including upcoming Secret Santa swaps.

Payment via PayPal is the easiest
but I also accept personal checks via mail.

And please be sure your email is linked to
or included in the body of your comment
so I can respond to you.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Everything in writing begins with language. 
Language begins with listening.”
Jeanette Winterson

29 comments:

Julierose said...

I think Slopes reflects the "Gentle Nature" of a slope--so no high contrast--rather a gentleness about it--just lovely work ;))
hugs on a chilly Labor Day Julierose

Jean said...

Yes, please! I would love a copy of your book. I have paypal.
Please advise and btw, enjoy every post on your blog. Thank you.

Jean

jlickun@aol.com

Sally Langston Warren said...

I think Sukoon will come alive once you quilt it. I think it’s beautiful! I have been wanting to make one from the Slopes pattern too. Haven’t decided on colors yet. I am ordering my copy of your book now! I am sorry the publisher is liquidating it, though. That makes me sad. But I think it makes it more collectible.....like most of Gwen Marston’s books!!

Sally Langston Warren said...

I searched the blog for a place to order your book but couldn’t find it. Maybe that’s why you said to be sure to leave a way for you to be in touch. My email is jspwarren at aol dot com. (You can also just click on my name and find the email that way.) I am leaving for work shortly, so I may not respond until tonight when I get home. It’s going to be very busy at work today.)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that you were less than thrilled with the outcome of this quilt, Julie. Greater contrast in the slope portion would have called more attention to that area. Overall, I think the quilt is SEW darling! (Don't tell her I said this, but I actually like it better than the stark contrast in AJ's quilt.)

Janet said...

Hi Julie - I would be delighted to get one or even two copies of Build a Barn, if you can ship to Canada (I will pay the postage of course). Let me know if that's possible. I would be so thrilled!
Janet

Michele in Harrisburg said...

Would love a copy of your book and will use PayPal. Email is pintarch421@gmail.com. Thank you and so enjoy your blog!!

Pamela Arbour said...

Thanks for your tips but I like it just as it is

Country Girl said...

Debbie. I would like a copy of the build a barn book. Thanks!

Quiltdivajulie said...

To Janet in Canada - please leave me another comment with your email address. I have no way to contact you directly as you are a no-reply blogger (I've also left a comment on your blog in hopes you'll see it).

Quiltdivajulie said...

To Debbie - please leave me another comment that includes your email address. I have no way to contact you directly as you are a no-reply blogger. Thanks!

LA Paylor said...

well send that finished quilt in pinks to me... I LOVE it. Not knowing what your inspiration was, I see it as it is and it's gorgeous. All the texture is subtle and easy to relate to. It is a stand alone work separate from the inspiration piece.LeeAnna

sue s said...

I bet if you quit it with waves you may be happier with it. I have her book and will have to look up the inspiration quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I am not familiar with your inspiration quilt so I had no expectations of what it would look like. I love it for its own personality and of course for its wonderful color pink.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think the quilt is wonderful. There is enough tones of pink and lights to make it interesting. When it is quilted, it will be even better. I bought a copy of your book awhile back and have not been brave enought to try it. My dream from a little girl was to live and do art in a barn. Sadly, odds are looking it won't happen.

Millie said...

I love this!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love the slopes in this quilt. You may think they are slight but I think they are perfect.

I'd love a copy of your book, but only if you charge me for the shipping and you CAN send it regular speed. My email is crldelater at yahoo dot com. I do have a paypal account so just send me the invoice if that's how you do it.
Be safe, be well.
xx, Carol

Vicki W said...

Slopes is very cool!

Paulette said...

I think your flimsy turned out beautifully! I'd love an autographed copy of your book, Julie. I'll use Paypal. Just let me know what I need to do. Thank you!

Rebecca in AK said...

You may think your quilt top didn’t come how you expected, but I think it is wonderful. I would love a copy of your book. I have a Paypal account. rebecca53.rs@gmail.com

Pam Dempsey said...

I love your slopes top! I would like to order your barn book. My email is tobyyellow09@gmail.com , thanks so much :) Pam

swooze said...

I’d love to buy your book!

MissPat said...

Hi, Julie, I'd like a copy of your book if you still have any left. I do have Paypal but not sure of the process. Thanks.
Pat

Preeti said...

Sukoon is a beautiful quilt top and a very appropriate name for it. It is a Persian word meaning respite/relief/peace/tranquility depending on the context. I see what you mean by contrast concerns but I would not worry about the angles too much.

Ruth K. said...

I would like to order a copy of your barn book. I have paypal.
My email is rkingscott@hotmail.com
Thank you

Ann said...

Your colors are lovely and the quilt will be used and loved. Sometimes it's fun to try changing someone else's design, isn't it.

liferecipes said...

I love your new quilt! I do want your book. Donna Murdock

audrey said...

I really, really like your version. The slopes of the cuts seem just right! Funny how we are so underwhelmed at times, but really, it does look like a 'you' quilt and that's pretty awesome!:)

Unknown said...

I would love to buy a copy of your book!

You can reach me at rbchimes at sbcglobal dot net

Please do NOT use the email that goes with this google account--I never check it!

Thanks so much! I am very excited!