Friday, August 21, 2020

DD 11 Blocks for August and More



Dumpster Diving 11 - Mischief Maker

August block one - red violet




Dumpster Diving 11 - Mischief Maker

August block two - blue violet





Here are both blocks together.




Sixteen of twenty blocks are done - yes!

Four more to go - brown, red, yellow, and gold.


* * *




For those who have read posts here for a while,
you are already aware that my "new year" 
begins in August.

Early signs of season change
mixed with back to school sales
trigger my need to revisit existing plans
and plan out future projects.

This year is no different
in terms of the "annual triggers" 
although I can honestly say
I have not done any "back to school" 
stockpiling what with staying at home.

Here's a recap of the key plans.


ONE

The biggest decision I've made 
with regard to existing project plans is
on hold until April-May of next year.

I had planned to photograph each finished quilt
outdoors on our round patio table
during its month so there would be
seasonal context and a changing background.

That plan ended earlier this year
when COVID turned things upside down, 
younger son decided to move home,
and the renovations began.


TWO



Speaking of renovations -
DH has completed the installation of the floor!

Next step is to clean up no longer needed tools, etc.
and then he'll start installing baseboards.

We're all seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.


THREE



A while back I added a page on the blog
for some of the HST quilts I've made.

At the bottom of that page
there's a list of ten more HST quilts
that are currently underway.

Some are actually cut out and ready to sew
and one is almost a top ready to back.

I'll be sharing posts for those
later in the fall or early next year.


* * *

I've also been doing some planning 
for next year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

For now, I've chosen three projects
that will use scraps, 
fabrics from the resource boxes,
and occasional yardage.

(gotta use that stash)

SCRUMMY ("delectable, splendid") 
will feature scrappy baskets, 
something I've wanted to do for a long time.
(one 15" basket block per month for 12 months)

SPOT ON ("exactly correct, on-target") 
will revisit Moments in Time from Quilty 365 v1.
(twenty 4" blocks per month for 10 months)

JOVIAL ("high spirited merriment") 
 inspired by the Scrap Snap Quiltalong shared bKari V.
(eight 6" blocks per month for 10 months)

 We'll see how things progress.

* * *

Linking this post with RSC 20.

Click HERE to see what the others
are making during this "purple" month.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Most of the successful people I've known are the ones who do more listening than talking.”
Bernard Baruch

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Purple block is such a deep and dark color--like grape juice...
really neat hugs, julierose

Pamela Arbour said...

Love seeing all your blocks together.

MissPat said...

It's so refreshing to see someone who revels in having lots of WIPs and solid plans for more. Makes me feel not quite so bad for having too many projects in progress. The difference, of course, is that you actually get them finished. Sigh. Well cooler weather is on the way, so I will rededicate myself to moving things forward.
Pat

Cherie in St Louis said...

Woo hoo on seeing the back end of the renovations!! I may have a bit of stash enhancement to send you.....let me know if you are up for it :)

Nann said...

The saturation in each of the DD blocks is terrific, Julie. Not sure how brown is going to play with the others, though. I think of September and new beginnings, too. Obviously for nearly everyone that reaction is rooted in early childhood with back-to-school. Your patio table will be as nice a setting for the kitchen table quilts next year as it was earlier this year!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful PURPLE Lego blocks for the RSC, Julie!! Sidelining your Kitchen Table Quilts? Hmm... The revised plan sounds interesting, too. I'll be looking forward to seeing what develops!

Paulette said...

DD11 is looking really good! I'm about to start a HST quilt (well, there are some non-HST pieces in it, but it's still going to be a LOT of HSTs). Do you have a favorite method of doing yours? I just match the two pieces, mark a diagonal line, sew on either side of that, then cut. Some people do 4 at a time, etc.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love seeing all your blocks together!

Marly said...

Great blocks Julie. Nice to see you're jumping on the Snap Scrap bandwagon too!

Janis said...

Julie I am enthralled by the beauty and diversity of your dumpster diving quilts. Oh yes, and inspired. I've been thinking about what I might do next year for the RSC. This year I've only just begun linking up there and have not had any particular project that I've added to each month. Some months I've not managed to do anything specifically for the RSC. Anyway, next year I'd like to have an actual challenge project and I'm seriously considering using your method of building scrap blocks. Thanks for sharing all your lovely work!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your two new blocks and don't they all look so good together on the wall! Autumn sounds a good time to assess future projects, I used to try late in the year or January but life is too busy right about then. I haven't taken part in RSC for possible three or four years, I found it quite motivating to get busy with scraps, I'll have to think about next year!