Monday, August 24, 2020

Craving Pink



A couple of years ago I cut up lots of
 low volume prints and pinks for two different projects.

Neither one of the projects came to fruition
and the strips have been waiting patiently.

Along the way since then
I've kept adding assorted pinks 
as leftovers from other projects
have presented themselves.




Saturday afternoon I realized 
that I need a healthy dose of PINK
so I pulled out that box. 

(pinks and low volumes are both 
"comfort food" colors for me)

I sorted the strips by color group
and wider and narrower.





I'm making slabs that are 
between seven and eight inches wide 
by the length of the strips.

The wider strips are (for the most part)
being positioned on the outer edges
to allow for trimming to 6.5" squares.

Eventually there will be eighty 6" finished squares.




By late Sunday afternoon 
there were twenty scrappy slabs 
on the design wall.

(sadly my phone camera is reading 
these as darker than real life)




This is the plan for those slabs.

When I first flipped through Crazy Mom's latest book,
her Slopes design was the one I most wanted to make
but it has taken all this time for that to happen.

(I've started before but those ended up
turning into other variations of coins quilts -
you can see most of them on my 
Coins Quilts page by clicking HERE
or using the coins quilt label in the sidebar)




I'll use this yardage for backing.

I bought it on deep discount
simply because I loved it.

Now I know why I needed it.

* * *

I have named this project SUKOON meaning
"peace, calm, relief, serenity, tranquility."

Sukoon is an Urdu word.

And if you are wondering,
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan
and one of 23 languages of India.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The best listeners listen between the lines.”
Nina Malkin

17 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Your quilt is going to look great. That backing is simply perfect!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The colors are soothing, not cutesy. I always loved Metamorphosis and Buttercream. I am craving some calming fabric and just sewing. I have to lock my door and shut off the phone to do it I think. And now the grandkids' school went all remote, so grandma will be teaching a couple of days a week. Thank you for sharing your process, your quilts and inspiration.

Julierose said...

I can already see that i am going to love this one!:))) That background fabric is just perfect--funny how you buy just cause you like it--I do that too--and then voila!! It becomes the perfect one you are looking for...looking forward to seeing your pink project come together...

[My pink butterfly will be fluttering in applause ;)))]
Hugs julierose

Cathy said...

What a delightful combination of fabrics. I can see why being "in the pink" is a good thing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

YES!! you need to make that quilt - simply because that backing is FABULOUS!!

Barb Neiwert said...

I, too, am a pink girl at heart! I love your construction already and it gives a very soothing tone with the neutrals you've chosen. A happy quilt! Have fun making the rest of your blocks. And the backing is perfect, btw.

LA Paylor said...

it's all so pretty.... LOVE the elephant fabric, I want some too! deep discount... lucky find. I was just looking for an elephant image today to use in quilting... I so love them. They are the best mamas in the entire living kingdom.
LeeAnna

Janie said...

Good collection of neutrals and pinks and I can see the inspiration happening!

Robin said...

Very pretty, but then, who doesn't like pink? I can hear the simple pleasure in your written word voice. You must be having fun.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have been needing pink too. I wonder if it an end to summer blooms thing. Your quilt is going to be so pretty. I have seen a couple pink 9 patch quilts on other blogs that intrigued me too. Maybe it is time to gather.........

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good plan, fun backing fabric, and an appropriate quilt name. Who doesn't need more peace and serenity right about now?!?!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

We all need some peace, calm and (especially) relief right now. You're so smart-- the time is now for this quilt, I love it. Those strips have been waiting... ;)

Magpie Sue said...

Hmm, I must ponder on what my comfort colors might be... What a lovely thought. This is certainly the right project for that elephant print! And thanks again for expanding our vocabulary. :-)

Ann said...

How lovely. Pink and white calm me, too. The background is fabulous! Have fun.

audrey said...

Once in awhile we just need to work with a particular color. Love the slabs pattern. Can't wait to see how this works out for you!:)

Mystic Quilter said...

The pinks look so happy with the low volume strip pieces and I love the Slopes design you're going with. Haven't seen her latest book but have the first one with Cheryl Arkinson.

Nann said...

I made a note of that pattern . . . and many others in the book. Your pink version will, of course, be terrific. A question: what kind of plastic boxes are you using for the pieces? (Nice size. (Note to self: as though you need more boxes....))