Monday, June 1, 2020

Another Block for Feisty




After deciding NOT to use 
this beautiful but too-dark olive green
in the next spiderweb block for Feisty, 
I found this light-ish purple with white dots
lurking in one of the resource boxes.

But there wasn't enough to cut a 16.5" square
and quarter it like I had done with the others.

So I improvised.

Using one of the green triangles, 
I marked the center kite and then  cut 1" away 
from each side  to create a fabric template.

I had more than enough of the lighter purple
to make four center kites like the one shown above.

The two stacks of strings shown above are the ones I selected 
for the side wings, which were pieced using the green 
as a reference for placement.

The string on top is pieced along one side of the kite,
then the next string in the pile is placed beside the first one,
the third string goes next, etc. until it is time for
the triangle at the bottom to cover the outermost point.  

(I'm choosing the strips first because otherwise I spend
way too much time making decisions between stitching seams.)

Stacking the strips from last on the bottom to first on the top
 is a trick I learned in one of Christina Cameli's Bluprint classes.

(Have you have heard that NBC 
has decided to close down Bluprint?)


Once I had two of the four quadrants pieced,
I placed them at the bottom of the first column
to get a feel for the eventual length of the top
with a 3 wide x 4 long layout.



When I finished the other two quadrants,
I moved the sections up to the top
to get a feel for how the rivers of color
would look running vertically through the top.




Next I shifted the sections to the side . . . 





And in block formation on the left.



After the four sections were sewn together
and the block was pressed, I  moved all six blocks
from my sewing studio to the design wall in the design studio.

(if you're curious about my work spaces, check out
My Studio Space - tab just below my blog header)

* * *

Why did I move Feisty's blocks?

I need that design wall for another project.

I'll share that story on Wednesday.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say."
Bryant H. McGill

8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice solution, Julie! Looking forward to seeing if my hunch is right about what is going up on the sewing studio's design wall.

Teresa said...

This quilt is almost mindboggling with all the colors, design and movement. I do love the splashes of color!

Janie said...

Fun with color! Good progress on the design wall.
Happy June 1st!

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, a great way to use up scraps...love it!!

Quilting Gail said...

Love how you improvized to use that dark green.
This quilt is going (already does) look great!

Ann said...

Isn't it amazing how much thought goes into these seemingly "unplanned" scrap quilts. You are creating such a lovely piece and sharing your process fully. Thanks.

audrey said...

Love how you improvise. Feisty is looking very spunky indeed.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Feisty is growing nicely!