These are the two Dumpster Diving 11 - Mischief Maker blocks
that I made using RSC's January light and bright greens.
These are the two "orange" February blocks for that same project.
These are the two March blocks
featuring teal/aqua/turquoise scraps.
And these are the two blocks made in April
using light and bright blue.
The May colors are dark and sage green.
I have sage greens (above)
but the darks don't lend themselves
to an interesting Mischief Maker block
so I decided to improvise.
Looking out my studio window, I saw this --
grays and sage-ish greens.
Okay - maybe I could use those two colors.
![]() |
| Remains by Lynn Dykstra of Klein Meisje Quilts |
But then I saw this quilt by Lynn D.
and knew the big box of gray 1.5" strips
mixed with lots of green 1.5" strips
would make a gorgeous quilt -
I've named that project Nubilum
(Latin for "cloudy")
So then it was back to the drawing board
for my Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.
After checking the crumb boxes first
and then a few of my resource boxes,
here's what I've come up:
(I need a total of 12 colors/blocks)
I'm going with Sage Green and Salmon for May.
Then planning two colors per month
for June through October
I've set up boxes for red violet and lavender . . .
yellow and gold,
bright red and dark red . . .
dark blues and brights on blacks,
plus blue violet and hot pink.
A little along I'll get these cut up using my 1.5" die,
adding more to each box to keep things interesting.
DD 11 - Mischief Maker promises to be
full of colorful scrappy goodness.
* * *
This post is now linked with this week's link party
over at The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Click through to see what the others are doing.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Listen to your own voice, your own soul; too many people listen to the noise of the world, instead of themselves.”
Leon Brown










16 comments:
Great pairing choices...will be looking forward to seeing them come together...
~ ~ ~ waving Julierose
Loved seeing these blocks. and Lyn's quilt is great so soft and almost looks vintage.
You have so many great great fabrics!
Loving these Mischief Maker blocks! I am curious to see how you will put them together. Lynn’s quilt is beautiful. Reminds me so much of a family quilt I have from the 50’s. So much inspiration in your post today! (That trees/gray sky photo! Wow.) Thank you. Take care.
La, la,la, la, la... Oh, and on the way to my Dark GREEN block for the RSC, I was inspired by a cloudy day... to start a whole NEW quilt. LOL!! I love the way you think, Julie. Thanks for these glimpses into a truly creative mind!
green and salmon... ahhhhh
so much beauty today. I like the calmness of the repeated strips all the same size, the blue strip quilt is so good too... nice find to share with us. I would love this on the bed. I don't usually do the same size strip over and over, but it's soothing
I'm glad you're changing the rules to suit yourself. Green and salmon sound wonderful. I've admired Lynn's quilt and can't wait to see your sage and grey version. Have fun with your beautiful fabrics.
I've read that color is relative and obviously that's the case here.
Your combinations bring out the best in your scraps.
Wonderful...exciting..inspiring
These are delightful blocks. I tend to collect sage greens instead of other hues. You came up with a great solution. Look forward to seeing it all together.
That sounds like a good plan and you can always be adding to the boxes further down on the schedule too for a great variety.
i think this is the prettiest rainbow scrap project i've ever seen....lovely blocks and wow on color!
Beautiful! Thanks for posting 'Remains'. I have been sewing bits and pieces together and then rolling for 'someday'. TODAY IS THE DAY!!!
My experience was similar to yours: the dark/sage green units don't go with the more cheerful tones of the other RSC colors. Your solution is great and I love the name Nubilum....but what so you have plans for the Mischief Maker blocks you've already made?
Loving the inspiration you are sharing with us. That quilt inspiration is so much more interesting than any Jelly Roll Race, due to the short narrow strips of varying lengths and colors! I'm going to have to remember that!
These blocks are so wonderful! I look forward to the grey/green quilt.
Lynn from Klein Meisje Quilts
Those are beautiful scrappy blocks. I always enjoy seeing how you put fabrics and colors together!
Post a Comment