Monday, May 25, 2020

Making Progress




A few blocks at a time
Fourth of July is moving from the trimming stage
to hanging out on the design wall.

My only rule for placement is 
not letting any two lights touch each other.




I love that when I look at all 80 blocks
on the design wall I see so much movement
as well as stars and/or pinwheels
depending on where I focus my eyes.

Next step will be to clip these for webbing into a top.




Frabjous made another big leap over the weekend --
it is pin basted and ready for quilting.




I pulled out the remaining plates of strips
to see just how many more slabs need to be pieced
for Dumpster Diving 8 - Bella.

There are only twelve more to go!




And Feisty has undergone a significant design change.

I love the saturated scrappy strips
 and the varying star colors but
for some reason forward motion had stalled.

When I was tidying the studio, my eye fell
on the cover of Bonnie Hunter's latest book -
the one with the cheddar serpentine spiderweb on the cover.

And stalled became motivated to move forward again.




By offsetting the blocks 
Feisty will have some marvelous winding rivers of color
running from top to bottom of the quilt.

And I swear the stars look more sparkly this way.

Onward!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------

12 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, what a lineup. All kinds of great progress. Hourglass blocks look holiday festive. Keep going as everything looks terrific.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The simple hourglass block is so striking in your Fourth of July layout. I love the prints that read as stripes in there for texture.
On the last quilt it is so much more interesting in the offset layout.

Julierose said...

Love that 4th of July hourglass piece--really coming together so well...
you are really moving along with all of your projects so well
nice works
~ ~ ~ waving with my little flag in the rain Julierose

Janie said...

Your offset stars do look sparkly! Great progress, pinning, arranging and
piecing slabs. You got a lot done.

Pip said...

I do love a red, white and blue quilt, that colour combination ticks all the boxes for me. As I scrolled down and Feisty came into view, I could see the paths of colour winding their way down the quilt and I wondered if it was a deliberate choice, and then further down I read that it was, that decision has added more interest to the quilt I think.

Pamela Arbour said...

Love those Fiesty Stars and your other works in progress.

Rubysue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rubysue said...

I have really been enjoying your blog and seeing your great scrap quilts. It looks like you are using the pool noodle method of pin basting. Is that right? I used that one time and it worked pretty well. I assume you then quilt on your domestic machine. Do you have any problems quilting your larger quilts on a domestic machine? I find it difficult to maneuver anything larger than a crib or wall hanging but this quilt of yours in the picture looks to be a pretty good size. I will look forward to seeing your Feisty Stars when it is finished.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, Julie!! SEW much good progress!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Rubysue - you are a no-reply blogger so I cannot reply to you directly. Please email me using the email link in my profile (see ABOUT ME in the right hand sidebar near the top of the blog) so that I can respond to your questions more fully than answering here. Thank you!

Ann said...

So many wonderful quilts in progress. Of course, I love the hourglasses AND the spiderwebs. I've seen Bonnie's cover, too. What a fun way to adjust your blocks. We quilters are lucky because we have so much stash sitting safely at home to use.

Mystic Quilter said...

Fantastic progress with these projects of yours! I just have to make a spider web quilt and use up lots of my strips, perhaps this could be my next project!