Sometime last year after being inspired by
I cut a big batch of reds, blues, and neutrals
into 9" squares.
I managed to track down the pattern for Bertha
all the way from a quilt group in England.
But then the pattern and the squares
along with the whole idea sat in a box - until this week
when I discovered the box under something else
I pulled out of the closet.
I decided to forego the Bertha pattern (HSTs)
and make hourglass blocks instead.
(Hourglass blocks are the current challenge
over at the Ad-Hoc Improv Quilters blog)
The first photo shows 48 sewn-together pairs of squares
after they were cut apart into 96 HSTs.
(pairs of reds/neutrals and blues/neutrals)
After the big pile of HSTs were pressed open,
I created 48 new pairs and drew lines on the back sides
to prepare for stitching into hourglass blocks.
(the yardage at the top of the photo will be used
to piece together a backing)
This was the stack after the second round
of stitching and cutting apart.
Instead of standing at my ironing table in the studio,
I took the unpressed blocks outdoors and
set up a sit-down ironing spot on the back porch.
SO much nicer than staying indoors
on a beautiful spring evening.
* * *
Next step will be to trim the oversize blocks
into uniformly-sized 6.5" squares.
THEN it will be time to arrange them on the design wall.
I've named this project Fourth of July.
(even though this is Memorial Day weekend)
My goal is to have the quilt finished
by the first of July so it is ready
for this year's Independence Day.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“When we were young, we were told that poetry is about voice, about finding a voice and speaking with this voice. But the older I get I think it’s not about voice, it’s about listening and the art of listening, listening with attention. I don’t just mean with the ear; bringing the quality of attention to the world. The writers I like best are those who attend.”
Kathleen Jamie




10 comments:
How lucky you are to have found that box of fabric right before the holidays! Not one of your usual color combos, I am curious to see what you do with it.
Those fabrics are perfect for a quilt in honor of 4th of July--I especially love that bias striped fabric--I am searching for a sashing fabric in that vein for my 4th of July baskets project; nothing obvious but something red/white and
blue-ish..maybe even flowery..so will be stash hunting today....
Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend...stay safe
~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose
SEW glad to see that you unearthed a UFO and are working on a RWB project this holiday weekend! This is sure to make an exciting Challenge quilt. I'll be looking forward to seeing it progress.
I love hourglass blocks and also double hourglass ones. With the right fabrics, they are dynamically scrappy.
You've been a busy lady and what a great idea to set up your ironing board out overlooking your garden. Enjoy your weekend :)
Great progress and over the top outdoor 'studio'!
It is almost winter here and getting colder by the day, I sometimes do a bit of hand stitching outside when the temperatures are warmer but I never thought of pressing blocks, must remember that for warmer times. I like the fabrics you are using, they will be perfect for a 4th of July quilt.
It's going to be a beautiful Fourth of July quilt!
I had to look up Bertha's quilt. Nice, but not knock-your-socks-off.... I think your hourglasses provide a great way to use your quilting time between now and the 4th of July.
How nice to find a project all ready to go under the bed. And one that inspires you to get sewing. I like the idea of changing up the design, and love the colour combinations. Oh and great idea to take your ironing board outside to enjoy the evening out there.
Post a Comment