Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Halcyon - the Quilt




Halcyon is finished.

57" x 57"




Created during the Fall 2019 Granny Cabin QAL,
Halcyon is another in my series of Kitchen Table Quilts.




I like the top and its mix of colors,
 but I absolutely love the scrappy back.




Here's an overview of the whole back.




Quilted with Glide thread in Warm Grey 4
and my unmarked liberated free motion fans and flowers.

Marvelous texture.




The binding was made from 2.5" strips cut for binding
on a previous quilt but not used after I changed my mind
and went in a different direction.

I'm glad I did because it was perfect for Halcyon.




Even though this one is a tad on the smallish side,
it's going to look so good on the kitchen table.

(you can read more about this quilt's back-story 
by clicking on the labels at the bottom
and scrolling back through the various posts)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time.”  
M. Scott Peck




19 comments:

Julierose said...

Halcyon turned out beautifully! I love those lighter blue colors--nice work ~ ~ ~waving in the sunshine Julierose;)))

Linda Swanekamp said...

Beautiful colors and calming mood. The colors are bright and clear. I love how the pattern itself makes the border- kind of a pun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on another great finish, Julie! The pieced backing and lovely stripey binding are SEW perfect for this quilt.

Robby said...

This is lovely, and perfect for this time of year. You're so right about that binding for this project.

Nann said...

A cheerful finish! Here's to halcyon days!

MissPat said...

So this is really a reversible quilt. Both sides are equally charming. You are very productive.
Pat

Mari said...

Oh so pretty, and perfect for summer (if it ever gets here.) Blue is not my color, but it's beautiful here. Have a good day!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wunderbar! It is truly reversible, I love the top but am equally smitten with the back, too.

Janie said...

So lovely! Congratulations.
And I think the back is striking, it's the way the colors compliment each other.

Magpie Sue said...

Don't you just love it when things work out in unexpected ways? :D

Dolly said...

Yummy !

O'Quilts said...

Lovely quilt...great ideas..

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A cheerful quilt, and I love the back too!

Pip said...

Love the scrappy blue background, it adds so much more interest than a solid background would. I think the back is as beautiful as the front.

Sharon said...

What a lovely quilt! I love the stripe binding and the back especially! What size did you cut the squares for the back? A fun reversible quilt, and so summery! I like your quilting too1

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The binding is perfect for this quilt!! How fun to have one all ready for you to use.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh nice finish, beautiful colours and the back is smashing!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Beautiful! I love the transparency and the way it self borders!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Pretty quilt! The back is as beautiful as the front! Great binding too, I love it!