Monday, March 9, 2020

Ready to Pin Baste



WHEW -- the 70s quilt is ready to pin baste.

(click on the label at end of this post 
to see previous posts for this project)

Left to right (rolled on extended* pool noodles):

Back, batting, liner for top, and the top.

(* extended pool noodles - two full length noodles 
with a 4' dowel rod slid through 
the hole to strengthen/stabilize)

(in keeping with the scrappy, make-do nature of the top,
I'm using a low volume print (reversed) for the liner)

This project is SO MUCH larger than what I normally quilt.

Wish me luck!




In other news, almost three years ago (gasp)
I painted our two front porch doors red
which led to the making of the Kitchen Door Quilt.

I liked the red doors so much,
I announced that I was going to paint
both of the back doors red.

(lots of time passes)

Last Wednesday, DH took down the sunroom door
and did extensive cleanup around the multiple panes of glass.

And now the door has been painted by yours truly
and re-hung by DH with new hardware.

(once the paint fully hardens, I'll clean up the glass
and remove any stray smudges of red around the edges)

Only one more door to go . . . 
but not until after the 70s quilt is D-O-N-E.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence.”

Robert Frost


8 comments:

Dorothy said...

I am almost afraid to ask, but what is "liner for top". I've been quilting since the very early 70's, and I don't think I've ever heard that term before. Or even seen something between the top-batting-backing

Pamela Arbour said...

I am guessing that you will need to use a lot of pins. 4 layers whew! Looking forward to seeing it completed. Door looks nice.

Linda Swanekamp said...

As soon as the pool noodles show up in the stores, I am buying a bunch. I love red doors. My front door is red. All systems look like go in getting the quilt done.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Backing, batting, liner and top? I'm trying to wrap my head around that. Are you quilting this one with FOUR layers?! If so, I hope you will tell us your thought process in doing so.

Julierose said...

I like your red doors...so cheery and welcoming...good luck on that quilting....hugs, Julierose

sue s said...

Is the liner used because of the fragile nature of the blocks? I do like your doors!

Ann said...

I love red doors and had one once.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Good luck! I love the red door, but then, that's the Lutheran in me. ;)