We had Little Man for a long (three sleeps) weekend.
He and Dee Dah baked bread and made homemade play-doh.
Saturday after nap, he asked me about the machines in my studio.
So we pulled some small scraps from the bowl
that sits beside my Bernina and
he decided where each one should go.
He laid on my sewing table to watch the needle go up and down
and how the thread connected the pieces together.
(he also had to thoroughly test the on-off buttons
on the Bernina and the bendy Brite-Light)
![]() |
| (notice the off-brand Wonder clips on the bendy Brite-Light - he loves clips) |
He wanted to make his piece bigger
so we went to the scrap boxes and
he chose two hot pink strips for the sides.
As you'll see in the following photos,
he chose yellow strips for the top and the bottom.
(he was very definite about his color choices)
![]() |
| (he scooted closer for this finished-quilting photo) |
He chose a brown for the back from the stash shelves.
We found a batting scrap and made our quilt sandwich.
He sat on Max's table and counted "one-two-three GO"
with each quilting pass of squiggly lines.
(his choice of design from the three options I showed him)
I gave him two choices for binding and
he hardly hesitated before making his decision.
Watching me attach it was boring
so he unrolled two bobbins (his color choices)
and made a glorious tangle of threads.
The finished front.
The finished back.
One very happy boy.
After we took that photo
he carried the quilt to his bed
and covered up Sleepy Puppy
(who lives at our house)
and BeeBee
(who lives at his house)
so they could "stay warm and cozy."
* * *
A perfect example of WHY we do what we do.
Quiltdivajulie









22 comments:
Loved your story and the photo's - brightened up the start to a dull day :)
That was SEW awesome!!! Thanks for sharing the entire story as it unfolded. I can't decide which photo I like best. The last photo with Little Man holding his the new little quilt or the inquisitive one with him watching the machine make the stitches. What a memory for you to cherish, Julie!!
Sew sweet! A perfect weekend with gramma.
Awwww how sweet! He's definitely a cutie pie.
I really enjoyed this and I'm sure you did too!
What a joyous post!
And your heart must be full to overflowing!! Thanks for taking the time to take photos and share with us :)
So cute!
Awww. Not sure I'd have had the patience to let him unroll bobbins but what a choice experience. He will never forget it. Plus, you have photo documentation!
That smile says it all! What a wonderful story! I would definitely get more quilting done if I had a tiny helper to say "1-2-3-go," too. Enjoy the day!
Awwww. Enjoy that little one while you can. They grow up oh so fast!
How sweet is that! He is a Mr. Cuteness for sure.
Makes my heart warm.
Sounds to have been just a perfect weekend and you may well have a future quilter in the family!
so sweet :-)
You made some good memories for both him and you! Thanks for sharing with us and planting the little seeds of ideas for us to use with young ones in our lives!
When my granddaughter was younger, she loved to play in my studio, make an "office" and collect and arrange scraps. She even laid out a quilt once. Now that she is 8, she is not that interested although she always comments on my design wall. Treasure these moments.
LOVE this post. My great grandson refers to days as "sleeps" too. Gotta love the time we spend with our grands!
xx, Carol
So precious. I went AWWWWWWW............at that smile, rosy cheeks and shiny hair!!!
You could turn that post into a children's story book! I'm sure it would sell!
This is why I say if you're stuck on color or fabric selection, find a small child, especially if feeling timid about bold colors. One that hasn't yet had their color senses squashed by "rules". He's totally adorable!
This is why I say if you're stuck on color or fabric selection, find a small child, especially if feeling timid about bold colors. One that hasn't yet had their color senses squashed by "rules". He's totally adorable!
OMG! So adorable. He looks really happy with the quilt as well. Thank you for taking the time to show him what you were doing. I hope he continues to be interested.
Post a Comment