Thursday, January 23, 2020

So Much Thinking . . .



That same family friend who brought me the top 
(shared in previous post)
also cleared out his closet and
gifted me with an enormous number of
shirts he no longer likes or needs.

I've pulled out the ones I want
and sorted the rest to share 
with my Wednesday group.




After considerable back and forth about
how best to enlarge the top to twin size,
this is the general plan I'll follow.

Removing one row brings the top
into a more reasonable width/length ratio
which allows for border space on all four sides.




These are the three stars from the top (or bottom)
that I removed - they will be pieced into the back.

(please ignore the Grunge yardage - I was experimenting)




At the same time he gifted me all those shirts,
he included two sets of shiny fabric curtains
(I cannot use those but there are
two ladies in the group who might)
along with three plaid valances 
that his mother made long ago.

With a narrow flash of turquoise as a stop border,
this plaid will work nicely as the 2" inner border.




Handling all those plaid shirts made me think of this book.




I particularly like her second paragraph/right column
and how she describes the function of borders
and the process of choosing them.




The fabrics on the right 
(some shirtings, others from the stash)
will be used to piece a scrappy quilt back.
(plus the three stars shared above and a custom quilt label)

I've calculated out how much fabric will be needed
(6 yards for the back plus 2 yards for the outer border)
so the next step will be to measure out just how much 
yardage is available in that scrappy assortment.

* * *

And all the while I'm still removing paper
from the back side of the stars.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation.”
Jerome K. Jerome

11 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

When my granddaughter was here sick from school today, we played a game I got for Christmas called Patchwork. The game's pieces and shapes remind me of your ideas for the back with all the different choices. She always beats me. Her fever left and she was in full competitive mode.

Ann said...

Oh, this will be such fun for you and result in a wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing so many thoughts.

Robin said...

Always love to read your posts and see what you are up to. Thanks for sharing the progress pictures on this revamping job. The person you are doing this for is so lucky to have you.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great use for the extra fabric items you were given!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Sounds like the paper removal is never ending! Nice collection of fabrics ready for the backing,
beautifully in keeping with the quit top.

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh, you have me on the edge of my seat! Looking forward to the reveal.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow what a project - but oh so cool!!!

Shelina said...

How lucky are you to get those shirts! I look forward to seeing your progress. Looks like it is going to be a fun quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Thinking always gets me in trouble. ;) You are the perfect person for this project, your ideas are marvelous and your knack for combining colors/textures is extraordinary! I can't wait for more.

Janie said...

Thanks for the tip on Roberta Horton's book, Plaids and Stripes, her comments on borders just from what I read here looks to be good insight. Exciting planning going on, thanks for sharing.

audrey said...

So true what Roberta writes about borders. I've been thinking lately about how to approach borders on an improv. quilt especially. Why do we always thing all the borders have to be the same? Because it's easy....