Monday, January 20, 2020

First Squirrel of 2020



Over the weekend a family friend 
brought this quilt top made by his grandmother
to me to see if I could finish it as
an April first birthday gift for his sister.

51" wide x 88" long for now.




This is reverse side of the top.




Detail of one block's reverse.

(check out that tire price)




Found on the reverse of one removed bit of newspaper.

Those TV stations are still serving our area.

(Remember Captain Kangaroo and Password?)




Local Saturday morning programming
looks much like it did where I grew up
many hundred miles away.




Yet another confirmation of the time period
when she was piecing the string diamond stars.




So far I've removed the paper 
from four of the fifteen stars.

I've also repaired one seam 
where the loosely woven fabric
disintegrated along the seam line.

Made using an eclectic mix of double knits, 
seersuckers, corduroys, polished cottons, 
repurposed linens, and a wide variety of other fabrics.

I've nicknamed this one The 70s Quilt.

Stay tuned.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The most important thing in communication
is hearing what isn't said.”  
Peter Drucker

21 comments:

Beth said...

Oh my gosh, what a treasure. I'm sure the recipient will recognize so many of the fabrics from her childhood--just as I recognize those Saturday morning cartoons. (I had forgotten all about Speedbuggy! So much time in front of 70's television...)

QuiltGram said...

What a unique quilt and opportunity. I bet you are enjoying working on this project.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun challenge! It will be tricky to remove all those papers... what a treasure!
I adore the scrappiness!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOL! The 70's Quilt could have stories to tell a commission I did a couple of years ago called That 80's Quilt. What a wonderful gift this is going to be and SEW nice of you to accept the challenge!

Nancy said...

Wild Thing! Just enjoying those newspapers would slow me down a bit in working with the blocks. Looking forward to your finish!

Nann said...

Oh, what fun! Are you saving any of the newpaper bits? I can imagine a collage--maybe on top of a piece of fabric then held down with fusible vinyl.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What fun to read the old papers. I'm sure this quilt will sing after you work your magic. Love it!

Ann said...

An eclectic mix. I'm still cutting diamonds from papers with a plan to use them this year.

Robin said...

Wow! This could be a quilt pieced today. I guess that's because we are copying the creations from another period. It's very fun to look from block to block. I had my first baby in January 1974 but I sure don't remember any quilts like this at that time. It know it will be work to get this quilt together but I think it will be a lot of fun too.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Its wonderful! Such a fun 'squirrel' project to start off the year with!

Carol E. said...

Ooooh.. I can't wait to see what a jewel you turn this one into!

Paulette said...

What a time capsule of a quilt! Are you saving the papers you ripped off to give back to the family? I think that kind of thing is pretty neat.

Magpie Sue said...

Good luck with that! Do you think it will lay flat once you've removed the papers and given it a pressing?

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is certainly no ordinary squirrel! The newspapers seem fun. Can't wait to see what you will do with it.

Chris said...

This one is a gem! Love it!

audrey said...

Absolutely perfect squirrel project. No way to say 'no' to this one!:)

Mystic Quilter said...

I think you're definitely going to have fun with this squirrel - and brave!

QuiltGranma said...

I agree, I hope you are saving those news paper bits! What a fantastic find, and to get to see the work on it... such privilege!

R Robinson said...

I LOVE THIS QUILT!!! I just started reworking/finishing a treasured t shirt quilt. So far I am loving every minute of it!

Kaja said...

Fantastic squirrel! Of course you had to go with it.

Janie said...

Reading some of the other comments, I have to agree, 'What a treasure,' and 'Wild Thing' for sure!
I'm excited for you, if anyone can do it justice, you're the one!