This inspiration photo was saved years ago.
Maker unknown (NOT my work)
Combining that inspiration with
the current Ad Hoc Improv Quilters
hourglass block challenge . . .
Here is my fabric pull --
fabrics to the left for 6.5" squares
and fabrics to the right for hourglass units.
My goal is to cut one square from each fabric
to achieve an eclectic scrappy vibe.
(that bicycle print from the stash
will be used for the back)
Here's a closer look at the
pairs of fabrics for hourglass blocks.
After trimming the hourglass blocks to 6.5"
this is what was left behind.
(I started with 8.5" squares)
Somehow, I messed up on the math and ended up
with half as many hourglasses as were needed.
Back to the stash for fabric pull part two.
Leftover trimmings from the second 20 hourglasses.
First layout - to get them all up on the design wall.
(the colors are so much prettier in real life -
the mix of indoor and window light was not cooperating)
I'll do some tweaking
and maybe a bit of substituting
before I sew this together.
Target size 48" x 60"
And I've named this one Copacetic,
which means "completely satisfactory."
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Tone is often the most important part of a conversation –
and listening is so much more important than what you say.”
Hoda Kotb








21 comments:
Very nice and spring-like. Thanks for sharing the inspiration and all of the photos and your thought process.
Gorgeous--love your fabric mix--nice work on this...hugs, Julierose
Oh my! I love the inspiration and your version. I think I've just been inspired to make my version!
Copacetic is one of my favorite words-- this beauty lives far exceeds the definition. It is lovely.
I can't wait to see the finish. I can tell by the stacks of fabric the colors are much brighter then the ones on the wall. I love the fabric you are using for the backing.
for sure the cut offs would make a fab string project! this is pretty Julie
That is quite an eclectic gathering of fabrics. I'm getting better at combining a mixture of prints. It used to be too jarring, but now I kinda of like it.
Pat
LOVE that bicycle backing fabric, Julie!! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with those off-cut strips.
I like it!!! I think the colors are so beautiful and together they really sparkle!!
Great name, because that quilt is deeply satisfying to look at.
OMG. The inspiration photo immediately transported me back as a young child standing next to my Grandma Knowles as she sat at her treadle sewing machine working on a quilt! And love your version. Great idea and great fabrics.
I just took one last look at all the pictures before heading to do some cleaning. Again, I was struck how much of an impact a ‘simple’ block and setting for a quilt can have. Both the inspiration one and yours. Again the Gee’s Bend quilts come to mind. That is using what one has on hand to create something beautiful. Just my morning thoughts.
It is an exciting quilt. When you pull fabric for such a mixed quilt, how do you decide what to use and what is a unifying factor? I have a tendency to just get confused when trying something like this.
LUV!
This is a classic, just what a quilt should be!
It looks very juicy - blueberry and raspberry turnovers :-)
That bicycle print is super cute. Perfect for backing.
Love this one Julie and such a perfect name! Beautiful mix of colour and pattern in the fabrics.
I'm quite envious that your blues and pinks look so good together right now. Unlike mine which required lots of revision.
OOOH,girl, I WANT that bicycle fabric ! I adore it !
And the quilt is pretty cool too.
It turned out beautifully. Satisfactory indeed. It's so funny that I was thinking about a similar quilt I have - it is made with economy blocks, but the look is the same since the blocks are on point. The only difference is the outside blocks.
Completely Satisfactory for SURE! Love this one. The colors and the simple design are so charming.:)
Post a Comment