Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Zephyr - 30th Quilt Top of 2019



The sewn together half-hexagons
 measured 40" x 52" so I added side columns 
pieced using random lengths of 4" wide scraps
to make the top 48" wide.

The top and bottom borders were pieced 
using 3" squares sewn into four patches
which made the top 62" long.




Then I spent a couple of evenings piecing other 
leftover end cuts, strips, and chunks of low volumes
into twenty slabs which were then cut into
uniform 12.5" squares and arranged 
more or less like a rail fence layout.

I needed a back 5 squares wide x 6 squares long
so I bordered the pieced squares with 
single-fabric pieces 6.5" wide x 12.5" long.

(only the side and bottom half-squares are shown in this photo)




I used the very last strip of batik
from Lynne's Hidden Potential quilt.

(above and to the right of the sunny rainbow)




I also used the last segment of the rosy circles
which has to date back at least 10 years.




2.5" squares from Bemused 
that were undersized were pieced together.




Scraps from the fabrics used in 
Tea Party's back were also included.

(the bowler hat)




has now been used.




More undersized squares from Bemused,
and one of several strips of the sewing fabric
used to back Cherie's Broken Dishes . . .




What a gloriously scrappy combination of fabrics.




I can already tell that this back is going 
to become one of my all-time favorites.




Prior to piecing the scrappy back,
I had sewn together a lot of short lengths
of various low volume fabrics
to be used as binding.

(shown here laying on my ironing table
waiting to be folded/pressed)




I do love a great scrappy binding.

* * *

Zephyr now becomes the 17th quilt top/back
hanging in my "waiting to be quilted" closet.

(I did manage to quilt and finish 15 quilts
and a number of smaller projects this year 
or that waiting number would be much larger)


* * *

And for those who are wondering about 
the 30 tops completed in 2019 - 
three of those were for the 70273 Project where
others made the blocks and I assembled them into tops;
several were unquilted barn teaching samples that
were re-worked and turned into tops worthy of quilting; 
several were long-term projects that 
came to fruition this year; and one was a top that
was taken apart, rearranged, and sewn back together.

Looking at these stats, I'm amazed.

Clearly, a little along really does pay off.

Happy New Year to all -
see you again on January 6th.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Much silence makes a powerful noise."

African Proverb

21 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

If I had a choice, I would pick the back as the front - I just love all that scrappiness :) *Happy New Year 2020*

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

What a fabulous two sided quilt!! Can't love this enough! Happy New Year to you and yours. May 2020 be a year filled with joy!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Truly a two-sided quilt! Both sides are beautiful, but that back is fascinating, so many pretty prints to look at and admire.
Best wishes for a happy new year in 2020!

Julierose said...

I love that quilt back--funny how sometimes you end up loving the back more than the front...(and the front becomes the back lol) You really were so productive in 2019...congratulations hugs, Julierose and HAPPY NEW YEAR;)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a restful quilt this is going to make, Julie. It's SEW lovely!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

You elevate the notion of scraps to another stratosphere. Just beautiful.

LA Paylor said...

it is amazing. I love all of these. Especially the neutral fabrics all together (with or without rainbow) Like the French saying, little by little the bird builds her nest. There should be another word for what we love and do than scraps... it's the mix of pattern and color and magic and effort... happy new year my friend, Love LeeAnna

Ann said...

What a joy to see these neutrals play so well on both sides of your quilt. Scraps give us such scope to work in, don't they?

Cathy said...

What a glorious double-sided quilt! Both sides are so rich. And how wonderful it is that you incorporated so many scrappy memories into it! Just wow...

audrey said...

Your stats always amaze me Julie! But like you say, a little along the way can add up to a big number. I like to work that way myself these days. Your half hexie quilt is gorgeous! I adore the scrappy strip/square/rectangle border on the edges. Really great contrast to the hexie shapes and makes for an even more interesting quilt, especially where the color/value in this one is so subdued. LOVE it. And the other quilt is interesting too with the slab piecing laid out in the rail fence design. Can't wait to see these when they are completely quilted. Thanks for taking the time to share your process and show your work. As always, I remain very inspired and encouraged by what you do!

Magpie Sue said...

I like the top, but I think I like the back even better! One of these days I'm going to get into my text prints and maybe turn out a low volume quilt. Journaling this morning I've realized again how much I enjoy scrap quilts, the scrappier the better. Must follow up on that!

Magpie Sue said...

Oh, and Happy New Year! :D

Mari said...

First, this is a lovely top! Somehow "neutrals" never does it for me, but then I see this and it just sings. The back is quite lovely, too. Second, amazing year, whether all of them got/get quilted up or not. Can't wait to see what 2020 brings! Happy new year!

karen said...

Two-sided quilts are the best. One of my daughter's favorite quilts is one that she uses backside up. Apparently the front doesn't appeal the way the back does. I'm probably the only person who realizes she's flipped it. That backing is glorious!

karen said...

Oh, I'm referring to your backing being glorious, not the one on my daughter's quilt. :)

Raewyn said...

Golly what a very productive year you have had, and golly what a lovely top and golly what a lovely backing! And lots of lovely memories in this backing too! I just love scrappiness :-) I don't always appreciated pieced backs because they sometimes compete with the front (imho) but I do love what you have done here. Happy New Year!

Robin said...

Where you wrote, "I do love scrappy binding," I read it as "I do love a scrappy ending." ha! Thanks for sharing all the scrappy activity at your house this past year.

Monica said...

So many pretty fabrics in that low volume quilt! Happy new year!

Cathy said...

I just love all the low volume fabrics and the memories in the fabrics. And I can't decide which side I like better. Congrats on this beauty. I've also noted that it appears a whole lot easier to sew together half hexies than whole ones.

Mystic Quilter said...

Goodness me what a grand ending to 2019 for you, love the assortment of fabrics pieced for the back of Zephyr and lots of congratulations on the total of 30 quilt tops made! I was going to say your work ethic is amazing - but of course it is most definitely not work!!
May you show us many more of your creations in 2020 and wishing you and your family a Happy New Year.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love your 1/2 hexi quilt, all those soft neutrals work so well together! And the back is amazing too... very inspiring!