This tray held 64 sets of four strips,
each strip comprised of four 2.5" squares.
One set a time, I worked my way through the stack.
As each sixteen patch was sewn,
I attached it to the previously sewn blocks.
(arranged in rows of 8 blocks)
Since this was a scrappy postage stamp style project,
there was no great need to lay out the blocks
prior to sewing them together;
in fact NOT laying them out
probably gave me a scrappier look
than I could have achieved any other way.
Row by row the design wall began to fill up.
Eight rows of eight blocks or
1,024 squares cut at 2.5" from the scrap stash.
The sewn-together top measures 64" x 64"
Bemused will be one of my monthly toppers
for the kitchen table in the coming year.
(Bemused: "to occupy the attention of; absorb or engross")
Here's a detail shot of some of the many fabrics.
The back was pieced using four different
well-aged Yuwa 30s collection prints.
(purchased during a deep discount online sale)
Since these remind me of my
grandmother's kitchen table cloths,
it seemed fitting that they back
one of my kitchen table toppers.
I pulled out the long leftover strip
of border segments from Sea of HSTs,
pressed that 3" strip to be used for binding, and
trimmed it to equal my usual 2.5" binding strips.
I'd like to get Bemused quilted before month end,
but if it happens in mid-January I'm okay with that.
(my knee and leg have felt better this past couple of days
with only minor twinges when going up or down stairs . . .
hopefully this means I can start working with Max
in the coming week or two)
* * *
And to all those no-reply bloggers
who left comments on the previous two
For the Birds posts - thank you!
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own homes.”
Harold B. Lee









15 comments:
Loving this scrappiness...just a beautiful "Bemused" quilt;))) I have a scrappy one that sits on my lap and I find myself checking out and re-checking the fabrics when I use it--what fun...nice job Hugs, Julierose
It's really beautiful.
Oh, it is so cheering. It all works together as one unit. I like your method of making 16 patches and then joining them- probably keeps things a lot straighter. I got to use the Accuquilt die and cut more 2 1/2" squares.
What a fun table topper that is going to be!! SEW many cute fabrics to gaze at while enjoying a "cuppa."
It's so simple and so entertaining to look at. Nice job!
I love this quilt. I am going to try to do the same for 2020. I have bought mini charm packs of each fabric collection that I love and think I have enough for a good size quilt. Thanks for sharing and hope to be like you in 2020.
It's lovely, full of scrappy colour!
My favorite kind of quilt!
It is scrappy but also has a great collection of YOUR colors. Lovely. You will enjoy using it this coming year.
scrappy is my favorite. You did a great job with those little squares.
Perfectly scrappy. Love the blend of colors so much.:)
Definitely nothing blah! about that quilt. It is gorgeous! A scrap quilt like that is on my list of quilts to make - soon. Getting some other quilts closer to the pieced flimsy stage before I start cutting.
I love your postage stamp quilt Julie. Scrap quilts are such fun to make.
Love it - a wonderful riot of colour!! Bemused certainly does grab our attention and will look so good on the table.
Nothing like a postage stamp quilt. Love what you are doing and well...I just might get me some squares going. By the way, that is a lot of squares.
Post a Comment