To begin at the beginning,
CLICK HERE to read Tonya's original 2011 tutorial
from the international legos craze inspired by
her quilt named Ellis Island.
* * *
Now CLICK HERE and scroll down
to see photos of my four previous Dumpster Diving quilts.
(embedded links take you to each quilt's reveal post)
* * *
Back in the present moment . . .
Last year I started gathering strips of greens
and purples and grays,
not knowing exactly how I would use them.
When I agreed to teach a Dumpster Diving workshop
for Scrap Club hosted by Kevin the Quilter,
I knew I could use those saved strips and strings
to make my next Dumpster Diving quilt
as a work-in-progress to share with the class.
(that class unfortunately had to be cancelled
because I was too sick to travel)
The purples and turquoise bits were
cut to uniform 1.5" widths
then chopped into varying lengths
of 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3", and 3.5".
The grays were handled the same way.
As were the greens.
(Those longer strips in the foreground
were cut from backing leftovers -
they'll be used in Dumpster Diving 7-Copacetic)
Limited only by the number of pins I had to work with,
I created pairs of grays, pairs of greens, and pairs of purples.
These were chain stitched one after the other
until all of my pins were available to be used again.
The newly stitched pairs were then pinned into new pairs
and chain stitched into sets of 4 segments.
(Hint: crank up your favorite music -
it makes these power sewing sessions more fun)
Once the sets of four segments are sewn,
pinning the groups together is no longer needed.
Just pair two together, stitch,
then bend the free end around to the front
so you can place the next short strip in position
and continue sewing the short 4-strip segments
into one very, very long strip.
(again, music makes this time pass more enjoyably)
At this point, how you work with those long strips
will depend on the design of the quilt you are making.
For the blocks I'm using in Dumpster Diving 5
(diagonal string block style)
I cut the long strips into 14" lengths
and sorted the lengths by color.
Each block requires thirteen strips
as shown in the photo above.
When sewing these together,
I work top to bottom and left to right.
I wait until all thirteen strips
are sewn together before pressing.
I then press from the back
and press all seams in one direction.
Then I turn the block right side up
and press again from side to side
to make sure the seams are flat.
(I use steam - being careful not to twist the fabric strips)
Once the block is pressed flat,
I lay my 8.5" square ruler in place.
Hint: make sure the corners
do not fall on a seam in the outside strips.
This makes sewing the blocks together easier
and results in far less bulk.
I cut off the top right corner first,
then the upper left
followed by the lower right,
and finally the lower left.
I don't know that the sequence really matters
so long as you are consistent
from one block to the next.
You could also use a rotating turntable
for cutting and trimming these blocks.
The four cut-away corners are then set aside -
in this case to be used in Lagniappe.
Here is the back of the newly-squared block.
(no dangling threads, seams pressed flat and straight)
And now there are six rows of blocks on the design wall.
Only twelve more blocks
and this top will be ready to sew together.
* * *
If you need more specifics about
my earlier Dumpster Diving quilts,
there are labels in the blog's sidebar.
Clicking on the label will pull up
the posts shared during the making
of each of the quilts.
* * *
Here's to the fun of making quilts
with lots and lots of small scraps!
Quiltdivajulie















9 comments:
It's coming together beautifully, Julie!! Thank you for taking the time to share your process with us. I always enjoy seeing how your quilts are built!
Beautiful!!! I am totally saving this tutorial until I get a chance to make something similar. Thanks so much for sharing your process. Can't wait to see that becomes of those cut-off corners!
Thanks for sharing. I can see me doing this some time in the future.
What a great way to use up the scraps and wind up with an interesting quilt! Beautiful.
You are just the best, the best!
Your directions are very clear. Great way to use your scraps.
Gorgeous!
Very clear explanation. My current method for cutting a square involves kneeling on my ruler on the floor - your method may be an improvement!
Thank you so much for showing all the process steps. I am adding this to my to-do list for 2021 :-D
Post a Comment