I made this liberated free pieced barn
as a teaching sample for my book
BUILD A BARN - No Pattern Construction
back in March of 2016.
A week or so ago, I received an invitation
to participate in the upcoming regional
BLUE quilt challenge
and I thought of this sample block.
In order to make it a bit more BLUE,
I changed the barnyard to a field of blue bonnets
and adjusted the overall measurements
to meet the required 24" x 24" dimensions.
Pin basted and ready to quilt . . .
Quilted and bound.
For some reason, this one is tricky to photograph.
The light and angle make a huge difference
in the photographed colors - especially the sky.
This black and white version
shows off the quilted texture of the barn yard.
My free form double clamshell
was inspired by one of LuAnn Kessi's sketch pages.
And here is the same photo in living color.
I quilted the blue bonnets with Glide thread in Royal.
I also quilted the silo using Royal thread
with a design inspired by Leah Day's Monster Teeth.
The silo's texture shows up better in black and white.
The sky was quilted using
Affinity variegated thread in Aquamarine.
The barn itself was quilted with Royal
and the door/windows with Hawaiian Blue.
![]() |
| double-click to supersize this image |
I still need to make/add the label
and attach the already-made hanging sleeve,
but there is no problem having my entry
ready to drop off the first week of April.
BLUE will be on display
at Crosstown Concourse (Memphis TN)
from May 10 through July 28, 2019.
I can't wait to see all of these quilts
hanging together for this event . . .
Quiltdivajulie










6 comments:
The blue barn is wonderful. Thanks for all the details you have shown. I can't imagine an area having such a wonderful event. Quilting around here is not celebrated or respected. Black and white does show wonderful details.
I love the field of flowers out front! The black and white does give a nice view of the quilting, too. It's nice when it blends in, but not so good when you want to show off your stitches. Have fun at the show!
Nice finish. I really like that double clamshell for ground fill.
What an adorable barn....Love it
What a wonderful example of "blue"! The quilting is really super. (And I *love* the pickle dish quilt in the background.) Congratulations being featured in the upcoming exhibit.
Do I see birds on top of the silo? Deep blues and bright blues come together beautifully. Love the quilting.
Post a Comment