The colors suggested for Bonnie's current
Good Fortune mystery quilt have been calling my name.
DIL visited Changdeokgung Palace, Seoul Korea
a few years back and shared this photo.
I used it as my desktop wallpaper for a while.
Look at those blues, greens, reds, and multiple oranges . . .
She also shared this photo of the Forbidden City in China.
Again blues, greens, reds, and multiple oranges . . .
(both of DIL's photos should supersize if double-clicked)
And so I have pulled these fabrics from the resource boxes
to make a quilt that I shall call NOT a Mystery.
I am NOT going to make a Good Fortune mystery quilt.
But much like I did with Bonnie's Grand Illusion mystery,
I used her colors to create Party Hat Optional.
This time around, I'm contemplating
a half-rectangle design
along the lines of Wilkommen.
None of this will happen until sometime next year.
So for now I have made notes
and tucked them inside the project box.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Everything you look at can become a fairy tale and you can get a story from everything you touch."
Hans Christian Andersen





9 comments:
As usual, you are inspiring. Loved the links back to the quilts. I love Bonnie, but I don't do her mysteries. I did Grand Illusion and the whirling food processor blades scared me and I gave away all the blocks. I think I need to trust my ideas more and try some of them out. The last time I did that with the four patches, black and floral was not what was in my head.
I also was not a fan of Grand Illusion and whenever it finally gets quilted, will become a donation quilt. I changed up this year's colors a little bit to be Christmasy. The blue has morphed into darkest green. The green Bonnie has chosen I have lightened to grass green and lime green.
I like your idea of using her colors for your own project. The first photo above from China I like very much. The dark gunmetal gray green looks good with the brighter colors.
I tried a mystery quilt once ( not one of Bonnie's)and only made to the second month, I think. I'm one of 'those' who need to know what it's supposed to look like as you go along. I like the idea of using her colors for something else; I won't be doing that either, though, since I participated in the RSC this year and I made a couple of scrappy quilts so there's not enough scraps left ( that's a good thing - more room for new yardage :) )I also like Mary Ellen's plan to make the mystery quilt more Christmasy. Again, not for me, but I'll enjoy watching what everyone else does.
I like this idea of using the colors, but not the pattern...hmmm...I wasn't going to do the mystery quilt, but you may have just provided a loophole...darn it!
Oh good for you on going with the colours but doing your own thing them! Looking forward to the result!
I can see why those colours were calling your name, and what fantastic photos from your DIL.
Looks like great colors to work with in this new quilt.
I'm intrigued by the color palette too. Haven't quite made the commitment to do anything about it though!
I got trapped by that color scheme, too! Such happy colors!
I started doing Bonnie's mysteries the year after Grand Illusion, luckily. (It's the only one of her quilts that just didn't work for me. Otherwise, I love her busy scrappy happy style!)
Thanks for the flashback to Wilkommen - I still love that quilt! I'm looking forward to seeing the next one!
Post a Comment