My heart says "yes" . . .
My calendar and conscience are saying "no" . . .
[Deep breath]
I grew up in Michigan . . .
My family visited Mackinac Island more than a few times,
taking the ferry across the straights,
hearing the sea gulls scream as they followed behind,
walking everywhere (no cars allowed), and
watching the making of the Island's famous fudge
with an occasional free sample.
The opulent Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island
was Bonnie's inspiration for this . . .
[Deep breath]
I do NOT want to make an 88" x 88" quilt . . .
[Deep breath]
However . . .
[Deep breath]
I may end up playing along . . .
[Deep breath]
I can use my pieces and parts to make a lap quilt . . .
[Deep breath]
And I do love the colors in the scrappiness pulled from my stash . . .
[Deep breath]
Stay tuned . . .
Quiltdivajulie

20 comments:
I too had wondered about the BH Mystery, the colours she has used are ones I love but I feel I may be pushing it!
I am thinking lap quilt, too. I always follow Bonnie Hunter's mysteries but don't participate ... this could be my year.
Uh huh. two million two-inch HST's, one million four inch squares, six million two inch squares...
WAKE UP WOMAN!!!!!
Your opinionated friend in NH, just trying to keep it real.
;-)
LOL!
Lynne
(Millie is the cat)
Come on ladies, what is another project in our lists? Another few hundred seams to sew? Another beauty at the end to show off........I will probably get over it mid way , so what is another UFO????
You pulled some great fabrics, love the bicycle "neutral."
Just being honest, I don't like mystery quilts in general & have "never" liked Bonnie's, so it is an easy "no" for me, but I am intrigued by the colors. (Luckily my friends on-line (& 1 IRL) will make it.
It's okay to bow out now and then... just sayin' ;) I can tell you're torn and you don't need permission to pass on this one; however, just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you NEED TO do it...but then, you know that! I trust whatever decision you make will be the right one.
I'm feeling torn the same way - just what I need - another project that needs to be completed when I have so many others to choose from! My friend Barb has made one every year and I donate to her stash - maybe that's what I'll do again this year...but, on the other hand, ...
I have never made one of the mystery quilts, but I enjoy following along with the many people who do. I'm sure you'll do whatever feels right and authentic to you. The colors being used are gorgeous, I have to say. You could make it later, on your own schedule, unless you feel you would miss out on the gradual unveiling of the mystery part and the momentum that may go along with doing it "live."
I "follow" along by looking at what others make, but I'm not tempted in the least to join in. If you're in love with the colours, why not do what you do best and play with them? Best of both worlds -- you get to make something in the colourway, but do it at your own pace.Julie's anti-mystery quilt along!
I do Bonnie's mystery each year but I don't need big quilts so I just make making half of whatever units she posts each week. It's a great way to participate in the mystery and not overwhelming. At the reveal I find I always have enough to make a nice sized donation quilt. AND if you need to make a few more units to get the size you like, it's not a big deal. Besides....with her colors this year, how can you NOT play along?
awwww...come on! I love your color pull! ( I just got some yellow that I really "needed" today. and it was 50% off, so how could I not?) and that millie- pshht! she's being a party pooper- she should just play in the paper, or watch the birds! :)
Oh, I am so tempted, too!!! ;D She *did* say that this one will be less involved. . . ::just being the imp on your shoulder egging you on::
I'm thinking about making a third of the units this year and end up with a small quilt. I like Brenda's idea of a "anti mystery quilt along". Your fabric is great.
Well, I still have Roll, Roll Cotton Boll and Orca Bay still sitting around unquilted and I told myself I wouldn't participate in another BH mystery until I get them finished. Let's see...how many have I missed now?...Easy Street, Celtic Solstice... I do like the colors for this year...but, on the other hand, I really actually get kind of tired of seeing so many quilts each year that look exactly the same from a distance... But, I kind of like sewing along with so many in blog land and feel kind of left out when I don't...But I have so many projects not completed and I work 10 hour days and don't have all Christmas gifts completed yet so...so little time...ok, can you tell I'm on the same fence? But at least you have some fabrics ready!!!!
I'll stay tuned!
...but the fabrics you pulled are so gorgeous... so as others already mentioned, it doesn't have to be Bonnies mystery ;-)
I just spent 3 great days with Bonnie as she did 3 workshops for our guild and as programs chair, I got to sit in the classes. I almost finished Love Shack and then worked on Celtic Solstice which I have in bags by parts 1-5-I almost finished part 1-part 3 is already done and part 5 partially done. As much as I love the colors and her patterns-I am going to finish CS before I pick up another paint chip. I am going to watch your progress on your quilt-it will be beautiful!
It is sooo tempting isn't it? You can always watch along on the Internet and then decide after the reveal. This is what I'm planning. No time, and too much stress, mean that I'll have no patience for this. But January is open! We could quilt along then!
If you are that torn - plan on making half the total number of units, do as many units as you can manage each week/step without stressing yourself out, and work at your own pace. It's ultimately your quilt so you can do whatever fits your life and schedule. Love the fabrics you pulled.
I've set aside virtually the same palette for my tropical batik quilt!
I know how you feel here! I am having the same back and forth thoughts on this. Love the colors, but do I really want to commit? I am leaning towards a YES I do. Millie's comment cracked me up. She nailed it. After last years mess, I am hesitant. But, Bonnie said it would be easier than last years!
What to do, what to do?!
Post a Comment