When this photo was taken,
I had webbed roughly half of my
color wash quilt top.
IF ONLY I had noticed it at this point . . .
After somewhere between 5 and 6 hours of work,
I had the top completely sewn together
and pressed so it was ready for basting.
But where did that elongated yellow line come from?!
I pulled out my photo (top) of the squares
when they were still pinned on the design wall
and compared it to the photo (bottom)
of the finished top and THERE it was . . .
one extra square in the wrong place.
Time to walk away, fix dinner,
and get over my not-so-happy reaction.
This very cool book sits on my studio shelf -
it will be for Little Man's 3rd birthday next fall
but I'm enjoying it in the meantime.
In most of my quilts, I can make an "oops" work
without having to do major reconstructive work.
But in this particular top, that was NOT an option.
And so I sat and surgically un-stitched both sides of
the column in order to remove the offending square.
THIS was the problem.
(clearly I had been auditioning squares
and this one had somehow stayed stuck
to the back side of the real square -
a definite "oops" that Wanda
had repeatedly warned us about)
I shifted the removed column up a row
and carefully re-stitched each of the 26 vertical seams.
Near the bottom I added in another orange square -
which is the way things were supposed to have been.
Each of the fifteen horizontal seams were then pinned
(because the seam allowances all had to reverse
from where they had been previously pressed)
and sewn one at a time across the width of three squares.
Two-plus hours later,
the top was really and truly finished.
(double click to supersize)
Now the batting has been fluffed in the dryer,
the backing (above) has been pressed,
and the binding strips have been cut.
(that's the binding fabric peeking out
from under the backing above)
Next steps will be to get this basted and quilted.
* * *
And as I was un-stitching last night,
the quilt's name made itself known --
MARATHON
(inspired I'm sure by the fact that the
St. Jude Memphis Marathon was held this weekend)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"If I have accomplished anything good, then it's mainly because I've been driven by the need to know whether I can accomplish things I'm not sure I have the capacity for."
Vaclav Havel








7 comments:
Oh, Julie, I feel your pain! Those mistakes are so frustrating. But it's fixed and will be a great quilt. Plus, you got a great name for it! Have fun with the quilting!
A real Oops! The quilt is stunning, as is the backing, I have 4 yards of this one tucked away in my stash. What sort of batting do you use Julie?
I hate when that happens. You are so dedicated to fix it. What a lovely quilt.
I'm glad you took the time to straighten this out even though it took quite a while. It looks much better. You'll always be glad you made the effort.
We all find ourselves in this position from time to time. At least I have! All the effort was worth it in the end however. <3
You are good, I might have been so frustrated that I would have left it or just put it all in a drawer. Looks great
Oh! I would have had to put myself in time-out what with all of the swearing...
Post a Comment