Now to the questions about my stash storage system.
Yes, it pretty much DOES stay this neat.
Even when I am working and making a mess,
the stacks stay intact and yardage gets put back
very soon after being pulled out.
And now, with the new single layer resource box method,
the odd sized pieces also get put away sooner.
But it wasn't always this way!
![]() |
| A very early version of what would become my stash storage system - from a failed attempt to use Bonnie Hunter's scrap cutting method instead of mishmash drawer storage. |
For the first several years I stored my fabric of all sizes
in drawers with solid fronts.
Even with labels, it was hard to find things.
Then I tried taming the chaos
by cutting up all of the scraps
using Bonnie Hunter's method.
It did tame the mess,
but the pre-cut scraps were always the wrong size
for whatever it was I wanted to make.
I also tried storing yardage by type
(i.e., batiks, cotton prints, reproductions, etc.)
but that meant I ignored entire groups of fabrics
when pulling for a new project.
Storing my yardage on open shelves
was inspired by a 2013 visit with
I'd never seen such a glorious stash as Wanda's
and I knew even before I got in the car to drive home
that I would be changing my existing system.
My new goal became
to store my fabrics by color
in the open where I could see and enjoy them.
But that meant I had to make a mess
of incredible proportions
to get where from where I was
to where I wanted to go.
* * *
It turned out to be a multi-layer effort.
As I pulled out every piece of fabric I owned,
the first decision was to keep it
or to put it in the pile of "rejects"
to be dealt with later.
For the yardage I wanted to keep,
my rule was that if I picked it up,
I folded it before putting it back down.
As the lengths of yardage were folded,
I stored them on the large open bookshelf unit.
Pieces less than 1/2 yard but larger than a charm square
were unceremoniously dumped into color-themed bins
to be dealt with after all the yardage was folded.
Working for an hour or two each evening after work,
it took me about six weeks to get everything
separated into groups and the yardage re-folded.
And then I started the whole process over
but this time with the non-yardage fabrics.
The smallest bits went into crumb boxes -
the accessory boxes from The Container Store
that Lynne had told me about -
again sorted by color only
without regard to whether they were
solids, batiks, reproductions, prints, etc.
The larger pieces were folded
(as neatly as possible)
and placed into medium-size Iris storage boxes.
(Ikea's Samla boxes and/or
The Container Store's clear storage boxes
would also work)
The assortment of mismatched boxes
that I had been using all found
new homes in other parts of the house.
For me, it worked best to lay the boxes on their sides
so the folded edges of the fabrics were visible
whenever the box was upright and the lid was removed.
(those resource boxes quickly became a valuable part
of my scrappy madness making it easy to find
the cut-into-swiss-cheese pieces
that were too good to toss
but had always caused so much clutter)
Once the crumb and resource boxes were filled
and the trash can emptied yet again,
I finally started through the pile of "rejects.
In the end, some went to Art LaFlamme's IBOL effort,
some went to Margaret's Hope Chest,
some went to a local guild for their projects,
much of it was used (by me) to make
scrappy comfort quilts for the ADSC,
and the worst of the pieces literally went in the trash can.
Shocking, but true.
(they were not even worth the postage
to send off as a give away)
![]() |
| In 2017 I discovered the use of paint chip cards to help label my resource boxes (courtesy of someone on Instagram whose name I've forgotten) |
Now, for those who think they cannot develop or maintain
any kind of organization in their studios -
start by taking some time to just sit in your studio,
letting your mind wander about the room,
and think about how you work and what you really want.
Do you work based on color or type?
Do you work with yardage only
or do you also love the leftovers?
Are you a kit person? A pattern person?
Or are you a make-it-up-as-you-go person?
Each process style has its own needs.
And while you are sitting still,
consider what annoys you the most
when you are in your studio space.
(i.e., flickering lights,
odd buzzing or humming noises,
no comfortable place to sit, etc.)
Make the correction of those annoyances
your top priorities and you'll be much happier
while you re-work your storage methods.
It takes time and effort to develop your own style -
it took me four or five serious makeovers
over the course of ten years
before I settled into my current system.
And from personal experience,
you will not regret the time and effort
it takes to clarify your preferences
and reorganize your studio
to make things work for you.
(and if you don't have a label maker,
put one on your wish list --
I could not manage without mine)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
p.s. For those who read yesterday's post early, Glen added a comment late in the day with a link to a review for several online photo book making sources - check out that review HERE.





17 comments:
It is always interesting to see how others organize their stash. I have one big closet done by color, then I have bins with strips and chunks and I also have novelty separate, and toile', and patriotic....I'm pretty much all over the place, but I have an acute visual memory so I can usually find everything I'm looking for, except for 1 particular fabric I've been searching for.
Great work on the stash reorganization - I love the paint chips for labeling bins. I'm still working on "how I work" with quilting fabrics.
Your system looks fabulous, and clearly it's working great for you. Congrats!
I too tried taming the chaos
by cutting up all of the scraps
using Bonnie Hunter's method.
It did tame the mess,
but the pre-cut scraps were always the wrong size
for whatever it was I wanted to make.
I did this back when Bonnie was doing her very first mystery quilt because she advised us to. She said she would create more mysteries for us to use that stuff up. Well, that never happened. I still have all those different sizes cut up and stored in boxes taking up a lot of room.
My question to you is, what did you end up doing with your pre-cut pieces from that chapter in your life? Thank you for sharing your new system. I will rearrange my fabrics this way too but still would like to know about the pre-cut pieces.
I agree with your list of questions. I have re-done my studios several times and moves, and starting with how you like to work is the most important thing. I work by color except in collections like "flamingos" or "cows" I never liked the idea of cutting up scraps before knowing what you might do with them. The odd shaped scraps lead me to the most interesting abstracts, and the sizes never matched what I wanted to make either.
I use the color system now but will hopefully be moving my sewing room downstairs to a much larger space and will be looking for ideas to make my stash more visible to me. Thanks for the ideas and have a great day!
Thanks for Glen's link- will check it out. Consistent sizes of the containers is a huge part of storage. The accessory size looks very handy!
Your system sounds/looks like it works very well for you. I have a lot of sunlight in my quilting room, so can't leave much fabric out in the open. LOVE the look though!
it is always encouraging how other quilters are processing and sorting through the stash. Thank you for sharing and I love your tips. I have got to get a handle on mine, because I am clearly not sewing fast enough. There will have to be some serious rerouting of their final homes.
My system is much like yours, but I do cut 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2 inch squares, mostly to tame the small pieces. Otherwise, who knows how big a piece I'll need later? Your space looks wonderful, and I'm jealous of those very tall windows!
Love the idea of the paint chip cards. I need to remember to pick some up. I would do better with bins of the same size but it's not within my budget.
Thank you for sharing the "method to your madness". I find it very helpful to learn how others do things - doesn't always work for me, but often I find ideas I can incorporate or new things to think about in trying to make my system better. Thanks!!!
I already I loved your workspace but this is prompting me to think seriously about my own options (currently fabric is in boxes in a garage - takes me half an hour to get it all out when I want to browse). The questions are especially helpful.
Glad you found a way to organize that works for you! Interesting to read the various ways people organize their stash.
At the moment I only have a very small space to call my sewing room and although it would probably look a mess to lots of people it's actually organized if you ask me!
I like my quilts to be originals, in other words not some one else's kit, I make up my own from my fabrics. Patterns are old traditional ones, favorite fabrics at this time are 1800's reprints. I do not buy precuts. I make my own from the 5 25 gallon fabric bins I have of the 1800's fabrics. My usual purchase is 1 yard of each fabric, unless I think it will be a border or something I really like. Wash, dry, Iron, cut strips from each for each of the quilts in progress... tumblers of 3 sizes, log cabin, hexagon, Stars In a Time Warp, Tumbling Blocks, just bits in most of them, really scrappy! Once those cuts are made the fabric is folded, and placed in the bin of choice, so that when the bin top is opened all the fabrics inside can be seen as a folded edge. I have lots of reds, I am almost finished with a 9-patch quilt made with 3" finished blocks alternating with bleached muslin... possible 30 different reds. Lots of indigo as well, I have a pile of blocks to set with shirtings some day... a remake of an antique I got at a yard sale. A host of browns used in a brown n gold double 9-patch. More shirtings than one bin will hold, need lots of variety of those!
Since you are no-reply blogger, I need to respond here. What a terrific and well thought out comment - you clearly have a handle on how you work!
Thank you. It has taken years to learn to do this. And reading lots of blogs getting ideas from others. Since I only inherited 2 antique quilts from family I decided to make some of my own. I was frustrated with quilt magazines and quilt books giving the finished size of queen size quilts under 90". The top sheet is bigger than that! So I make the blocks, and make the quilts at least 92-95" across, and have now decided to make them square so that all the 4 edges can wear out evenly by having the quilt turn on the bed as desired. Non directional blocks, non directional quilting... That's my goal.
Post a Comment